Intro and H-pipe question

Vroom4

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm semi new to the forum. Been trolling around a bit and posted on a couple threads. I figure since this is my first thread a quick intro is appropriate.

Name is Phil, I recently purchased a 79 XS400 and am in the process of building a scarmbler/street tracker. My goal is a fun city bike that can handle the occasional fire trail(no need for heavy dutty off-roading). I'm not really new to bikes, just vintage ones. My first bike was a 2004 zx6r, which I have toured, raced, crashed and everything in between. Still have it and would never get rid of it :thumbsup: I'll post up a pic of it when I have a chance. It's currently my modern cafe racer:D I also have a 99 cbr600 race bike(not road legal). It's currently out of commission due to clogged carbs and an electrical gremlin:doh:

I bought the xs b/c I wanted something a little more fun for riding around town and not worrying about going too fast on. I used to blast around on my brother's KLR and have been hooked since. I've only known clipons on my personal bikes, so this on is gonna have some leverage:bike:

So far I have removed the windscreen that came on it and swapped in some tracker bars. It already had some aftermarket "commando" style pipes on it.

My next move is to swap out the oem filter cases for pods and re-jet the carbs.

So as the title states, my question: I noticed that many people leave the H-Pipe in when swapping over to pods. Is the necessary? I know there is a vacuum tube from the case up to the H-pipe, but that can be replaced with a small breather vent right?

Are there any downsides to running the pods straight to the carbs? Bad idea? Anyone do this before and have some insight? Also, would the pods need to be different sizes? Or would the pods that fit straight to the carb also fit on the H-pipe?

Once that part is sorted, I plan to order the pods and jets from mikesxs.com. since many people recommend the site. 150 main jets and 45 pilot jets? I'd like to order a kit with several size jets instead, but not sure where to get one specifically for the bs34's

Thanks all!

-Phil

First day I picked her up
20121103_160152.jpg

The zx6r "modern cafe" lol
2012-03-31141610.jpg

Too fast for everyday but it is too much fun! I took off the bodywork to repair it one day and have loved riding it naked ever since...

I dont know what affect it would have but they are there to help balance the air flow into the carbs.If you wanted to try it you ould probaly make some out of some radiator hose and try it out.If you kept it like that you would probaly have make some adjustments to your carborators and maybe rejet them.

Thanks 1982, but I'm not sure what you mean by making them out of radiator hose? I currently have the H-pipe and stock airbox. I will be switching to either pods and the h-pipe, or pods straight on the carbs with a breather filter venting the engine case.

I need to know if this is bad for the engine(since I have not seen many members do this) and if the pods for either setup would be a different size than the other. My understanding is that the 48mm pods from mikesxs are the correct ones, but not sure if that is the size to mount to the carb or H-pipe...

What I meant was get a radiator hose thats close to the same size as the hoses on your Hpipegoing to your carbs.Cut the piece the same length as the ones on your hpipe then clamp them on individualy to your carbs and yor air filters.Im not sure if they even make them or sell them anywhere so making them from a piece of radiator hose would be a cheap subsitute to try.I dont think it will hurt your engine as long as your carbs are jetted and adjusted perfectly to match.Im also pretty sure you would have to adjust the pilot air screws on top of the carbs.Try it out see how the bike runs afterwards.One thing Im pretty sure of is they make the hpipe to balance the air flow inbetween both carborators.Somebody can correct me if Im wrong about that.Theres probaly a reason why many people havent tryed it.If you did do that permantly you would probaly have to get different carbs.BTW I love the way your bike looks.
Oh also can you send me the link for the pods on mikesxs site

Last edited:
Be careful withe the cheap filters they don't work well with cv (what we have) carbs. They are stepped inside and cover the air holes on the carb. I use the mikesxs filters they work well and are like $14 each. If you are putting them on the H-pipe it wont matter. Some people cut the rubber lip out of them some there is no obstruction.

Attachments

• DSC01727.jpg
    DSC01727.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC01728.jpg
    DSC01728.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC01729.jpg
    DSC01729.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 146
Thanks xschris! That's exactly what I needed to see.

I'm going to pull the trigger on those today and also the jets. Also considering getting the Brass swing-arm bushing replacements.

Brass bushing are the way to go I use them and the bikes handles much better than the plastic ones. If you go through mikes I would recommend getting a new sleeve also. Just remember to keep them greased :wink2:

Sleeve? For what?

I'm slowly but surely developing a cart from Mikesxs lol

Based on several posts I'm thinking 145 and 147.5 main jets, and 45 and 50 pilot jets. Does that sound right for pods on the carbs(no h-pipe) and the mufflers I am using? The mufflers are not too loud so I am assuming they are baffled

Inside the swingarm you have a bolt then sleeve then bushings. As for jetting every bike is different. When I had pods just on the carbs I used a 145 main a 45 pilot with the needle set on the third clip( needle and emulsion tube are off the 77-79 carbs not the 80-82 ones) with a 2-1 exhaust with free flow muffler( no baffle) and it worked good. I went to the H-pipe and it feels a bit better at higher rpm's also dropped the main to 142.5:shrug:

varoom thats what you meant by pods.You took off the rubber Hpipe and put those pod filters on.Does that make more horse power?Also did you have to rejet your carbs?
Sorry about my 1st answer I guess being nieve to working on bikes I didnt quite understand your question.

Back