Introduction: Liger from PA

Liger

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, you may have seen that I have already been posting around the forum, I tend to do that getting too excited about riding and projects that I forget to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I live in Reinholds, PA. I just bought my 1980 XS400 Special II a little over a week ago for $450. The previous was slowly converting it into a bobber but now I have cafe racer in my mind. Ive already started the conversion process on it but I am preferably trying to get it running the best it can first.

This is not the first bike I have owned, but its the smallest and slowest, lol! My first actual motorcycle was a 2000 Suzuki Katana 750, and then I sold that a bought a 2005 Yamaha R1 Raven and now now they are both gone and I have the XS. I bought this bike because I have only recently discovered cafe racers and they look like a blast to me! So I saw this bike has extensive options to create one and here I am. So anyways heres some pics of my bike and a small description. See You around the Forum!!!

The bike is a 1980 XS400 Special II. Previous owner has repainted it, put on these ape hanger handlebars, removed air boxes, chopped the rear frame and welded custom backrest on, and my favorite(not), chopped the mufflers off and welded on car exhaust tips(down turns) to make straight pipes that are way too loud and embarassing.

Since I bought the bike I fixed the leaking neutral switch O-Ring yet its still leaking somewhere else. I also had to order a set of factory handlebar mounts and got clubman bars on it, rides so much better now!

2012-08-20144031.jpg

2012-08-20144057.jpg

2012-08-20144114.jpg

2012-08-20175059.jpg

2012-08-20175105.jpg

Last edited:
thanks, I'm looking forward to getting to know more about my bike and making it my own!
Welcome to the FORUM and thank you for replacing the handle bars that came with the bike.
First thing I would do is search carbs on here so you can see how tricky they can be.
Second thing, install an in-line fuel filter so you maybe can avoid having to post about carbs. If you believe this forum (and I do) DETRITUS is everywhere and wants desperately to clog up your carbs.

Thanks, and I am already one step ahead of ya, lol! Ive been searching on all types of things to get my bike running top notch. Unfortunately I have to pin point an oil leak(again), need to buy air filters, and it definately sounds like the carbs are out of sync. When I start the bike you can hear the exhaust steadily coming out of the right side but the left side kind of like "pulses", but once it warms up it does run decent. Anyways I will heed your advice and do more. And YES I HATED those dumb handlebars! Felt so awkward riding it that way. I am still determining if I want to keep the bikes color scheme that way or change it up.

Back