Introduction - new guy "midtown"

midtown

Effin' New Guy
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Jon, and I live in Massachusetts.

I have just acquired a 1981 XS400SH. It runs relatively well aside from a difficult start when cold. It's got some scuffs here and there, but only a little rust. I'm looking forward to restoring it and doing some custom work. For the moment, I'm just working on getting it registered.

When I get a sunny day I'll take some pictures and post them.

Welcome man,

Dont worry about the cold starts. I'm in Minneapolis and always carry a can of starter fluid with me in the spring and fall. That is untill I get my carb parts in from MikesXS. Check for air leaks and sync and clean your carbs your should be fine.

Looking forward to pics.

A couple quick pics.

Got it started the other day after letting the battery sit on a charger for a bit. Starts up just fine on the regular now.

Attachments

• DSCN0706.jpg
    DSCN0706.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN0721.jpg
    DSCN0721.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 250
So, still having some issues. Electric gives a good kick and spins the engine plenty, but it won't start. From what I've been reading, it sounds like it might be the carbs.

I have little/no mechanical experience. How difficult is it to service the carbs? I've read some informative stuff on how to clean the parts, but I'm not even sure where to start on how to remove them from the bike. Anyone?

its not bad, to take them off you just loosen the clamps on the black rubber carb holders screwed to the engine, and they pop off with a little pull. just take the bottom 4 screws out of each carb and the bowls come off and start cleaning. theres a bit more to taking the jets out and bits but thats a start

Remove side covers (plastic)
Disconnect fuel line on petcock
Disconnect vacuum line on petcock
Remove gas tank stay (bolt)
Remove gas tank
Loosen clamps on air intake
Remove air intake (I leave mine in with the crank case breather tube connected)
Loosen clamps on carb boots
Remove carbs (keep them upright)
Remove throttle cable (I find it easier to connect with the carbs free)
Open float bowl drains and capture or dispose of fuel

Thanks everyone. I'll be away from home for a while, but once I get home, I'll test my skills as a mechanic.

On an unrelated note, I've recently been selected for promotion to Staff Sergeant. I'm quite excited about it. Unfortunately, due to my very low time-in-service, I'll have to wait for a long time before I can actually wear the rank.

Come to think of it, I don't believe I ever mentioned that I'm in the US Air Force.

As another new member, (with an almost identical bike), I'm trying to absorb all the useful info being supplied to you by other members. I just know it can't be as easy as some guys make it sound, but I guess if all else fails I'll PAY someone to fix it!
On a more important note, let me congratulate you on your upcoming promotion, and (as a part-time U.S. resident) let me thank you for your service. Harry

John, I think if make real nice with the guys in the motor pool you could find a wrench head that loves to teach. A rack of beers for them and you're learning in no time.

The thing with our bikes is they're dead reliable. So a hard start is usually a sign of a few things easily fixed. Have a look at your timing and see that it's correct. Not hard to do.

Check your airboxes and boots for leaks. You can spray choke cleaner on them, if they rev up, the engine has inhaled it through a crack or leak and is burning it like fuel. That means find/seal the leak.

Lastly, if you have points, though I think you're past that issue with the 81, you can check to see if you're getting healthy spark. A new battery, or a proven used one (test amperage at motor pool) will prove invaluable.

Get a cheapo compression tester at harbor freight if you can't borrow one, and make sure you've got acceptable compression. Though they all say 140 psi or bust, if the engine can push your finger off the plug hole, it's compressing enough to spark.

Mine had your symptoms before I got a new robust battery and I adjusted my valves and a few other bugs. I needed a new charging system wiring so I replaced mine which had cracked. You'll find it's a very easy bike to fix.

regards, and warm welcomes

Drewcifer

PS, Congrats on your stripes, sir.

Thanks, fellas.

I recently got the headlight working again, but now the bike is a pain to get started without a jump start on a hill. After a long ride it seems to start up pretty quickly, but the battery seems to lose its charge quickly.

Has anyone had luck with these?:
<pre>https://www.denniskirk.com/ballistic-performance/evo2-12v-lifep04-motorcycle-battery-275-cold-cranking-amps.p2000626.prd/2000626.sku</pre>

Last edited:
I have the same bike, I just have one more stripe up on you ;) :banghead: I had the staff seargent strip since 1999 due to broken time. I still have 2 more years! before I get my 20 year letter. See how I do on my next F2F test will determine if I am elgible for PME school.

Translation: I just put on the Tech stripe last spring, I can retire in 2 years October, AFSC Firefighter, Physical fitnes test next month, have lose 1.5 inches on waistline, so that I can go to continueing military education school, (Pays better than my civilian job!) Welcome to the group!!!

Thanks. I work in Space Command. Where I'm stationed now I am pretty much a desk-jockey, however my next assignment will let me travel often. Not to mention I'll be stationed in Colorado Springs when I'm stateside. I'll have to learn how to snowboard.

First Midtown, let me thank you for your service. Second, don't sell yourself short. If you can survive bootcamp (even the Air Force's) you can figure out an engine. there are plenty of resources here (I read Drewpy's rewiring post everyday, so when i go to tackle that beast, i'll knock it out of the park.) If you just get down and dirty and go to it, you'll learn. I know when i was active duty we had garages with all the tools that the Navy/Marine Corps provided for us to use, and that's where i taught myself how to tear down the engine of an integra. (had to learn becuase i broke a spark plug and had to pull the head, nor did i have the 1200 to take it to a shop.) But like someone else posted, theres ALWAYS some one in the motorpool willing to barter for beer to learn, your in the best situation to learn all you can! Good luck, welcome and Semper Fi!

Back