is it possible to get the front wheel in air when accelerating?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've always been impressed when I've seen it done on other bikes. I'm guessing it's not possible on my Maxim.. But, maybe I'm wrong....

Maybe with a high rpm clutch dump, but probably not what you are looking for. On bikes with decent power, all it takes is twisting the throttle

No, this bike will not power-wheelie; in general a bike under 450 pounds wet might do it in first gear with around 70 hp and 50 ft lbs give or take. There is a lot of wiggle room if you can shift a lot of weight over the rear tire as well as other variables (rider weight, gearing, suspension, tires, etc), so don't quote me on this; it's just a ballpark figure. The xs400 is only about half way there.

To power wheelie in 2nd gear or higher you'll generally need 100 hp and above. Again, give or take.

All of this is assuming one is NOT bouncing the front suspension or otherwise cheating. Sitting far back on the passenger seat might be viewed as cheating too. Of course, clutching a wheelie up is NOT the same as a power wheelie.

Finally, power to weight ratio is important. Some kind of dirt bike might do this with significantly less power because they weigh so little.

My sub-300 lb xs400 would get light on the front end with stock suspension, but once I raised the rear this stopped. It felt like it was almost there, but at best it might just barely get off the ground with WOT in 1st gear. Again, my bike has had a ton of weight stripped off it.

My old Maxim 400 would do it bone stock. But way back then I only weighed 130 pounds soaking wet and I had to rev the crap out of her and dump the clutch too....ended up one of those "hold my beer and watch this" moment. Not real graceful or impressive with the small bike.....No my old 1100 Virago & 1200C Sportster was different story!

Back