Is it possible to repair an ignition pick up?

nwvtskiboy

Strewn about the garage
Reaction score
1983 XS400 Maxim DOHC

In my journey to get this bike running, I discovered that one spark plug was not firing, so I started exploring possible causes. The plugs and high voltage wires seem to be ok, so I then went to the connector on the ignition controller to see if the coils showed up from there. They both showed resistance so then I went to the other connector and checked where the pickup coil comes in. I get about 110 ohms from one pickup (black wire to orange), and absolutely nothing from the other (black to gray). If I leave my meter connected while I hand turn the engine, the resistance changes briefly when the rotor passes the first (orange) pickup, but the second one (gray) is totally unresponsive. I would think they should be behaving the same. I'm going to drain the oil and take a good look at the pickups themselves and check more connections and maybe actually look at the service manual tomorrow, but I'm hoping that maybe its just a bad wire. Wires are easy to replace, 30 year old pickup coils not so much.

In the case that its not just a wire and the pick up is faulty, is it possible to repair or rebuild one? Or should I start looking for replacements now. I'm wary of buying a replacement due to the possibility of having the same problem.

My thought was actually rewinding/soldering a coil, but theyre potted in epoxy and cant be dissassembled. I ended up getting a whole pickup and wire harness assembly from eBay for about $40. I could have swapped individual coils but I just replaced the whole thing. It was easier to run the 'new' harness than solder things. It also included the oil pressure switch and neutral switch. It all just dropped in with no issues. The hardest part was fishing the big connector around the airbox and frame to get to the ignition controller. I ended up popping the terminals out of it and clipping them back in after running the harness. I used a dental pick to push in the retaining tabs on the terminals to avoid damaging them. The replacement assembly works great and even tested out to within the specs in the manual, 110 to 120 ohms or something like that.

Back