Is my head gasket blown??

corytburkhart

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so i was on my home from school tonight, the old bikes runnin like a beast and i'm doin 70-80 as usually.. i get up to my street and realize oh yea i gotta get cigarettes so i loop around to head to the gas station......
put put put put rrrrrr put put rrrrr like i'm missin or i'm out of gas, check gas, gas is on..put put take it easy to the gas station .. listen a bit rev it up seems fine.. try to take off wants to kill it like its under a load and i'm in third gear or something but was for sure in first. turn it off check gas, half full. slug my way to a parking space, get cigarettes.. start it up, fires right up idles fine rev up sounds goood..... take off at a high rev bc it didn't want to move without dying and i didn't wanna walk it home.... kerclunk kerclunk...put put put .. runs fine for a second.. then again put put kerclunk..WTF is wrong with this thing............ i just live right down the street so i parked it til the morning so i wouldn't fk it up worse whatever it is...
this is my only ride right now... i would love to just throw my other motor in thats all polished up, sealed, rebuilt and ready to go but i have yet to finish drilling an tap out the 2 broken header bolts so i need to troubleshoot the one i got in a matter of hours..

i have extra new head gaskets IF thats the case, but right now its dark and i'm unsure so til the morning... night all:doh::mad::(

let it run for about 30 mins.. before i did anything this morning. was idling fine, go to take off and did the say shit... decided to just ride it a few mins like that maybe it'll work itself out, and it did mostly after alot of jumping and one loud backfire its almost back to normal..... so my guess is its a carb thing... i thoroughly cleaned them a month ago and have had no issues guess i'll try again

do you have a fuel filter installed? There might have been some gunk from your fuel tank that reached your carbs.

yea I would also say its most likely a carb issue

I had something similar situation with mine. IF cleaning your carbs doesn't fix it, check the magnets on your pick-up coils. Granted, I have an 82 so things might be quite different, but mine had metal shavings and grease accumulated on them. I cleaned them up and it worked great.

I was actually wondering if there was oil underneath the timing cap...screw it ill take it off and look real quick before the carbs come off

went to lunch with the lady, came back home and was gone remove the ignition cover to see if there was oil in there, but the heads of the screws are stripped andi can't get it off.. one of the screws(the lower one) is saturated with oil and i don't think that came from the tach........ but now all of a sudden it won't even start!!! took the plugs out and this is what it looked like
CAei0M7.jpg

Plugs are maybe fouled. You're probably choking it too much.

If you think you have a blown head gasket do a compression test.

If you've modified the intake/exhaust and/or jets let us know.

not the head gasket.. it had to been a carb issue so i'm an idiot on that...... anyway new problem, like i said when i got home it wouldn't start again... i'm not getting any spark and my starter button won't work.. idk what the fk to do i've got an hour now
:mad:

no battery was fine.. but i ran it dead fkn with it, charged it back up.. yanked the starter relay and threw in the one from my other bike.. was checking everything with a test light.. and the 2 R/W wires that complete the circuit threw the kill switch turns out they weren't making a connection.. so everything was good to go and the push button still wasn't working so i took a wire and hot wired it from the positve battery to the starter relay.... got it running, shut it off then then push button magically worked again...hmmm whatever..........

now! to figure out why it was running like shit... its magically stopped doing that as well..

i'm gonna throw some new plugs in there today, and at some point try to get that timing cover off where the stripped screw is to see if anythings wrong there(like full of oil and junk)

i mean, what if the complete circuit was being broken at the kill switch or if it was barely making a connection.. i imagine that would constantly make the bike wanna shut down every split second ya know?

also gonna throw a fuel filter on today too!

Back