Is this new sprocket OK?

Pork Chop

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
I jus got my new 39 tooth rear sprocket and it has mild scratches across it. My fear is that they could cause weakness lines and the sprocket could shear while rotating.
What you guys think, should I be worried or is all OK?

here is a pic of the sprocket.

Attachments

• IMG_5618.jpg
    IMG_5618.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 214
Thanks guys. Again, I don't know what I would do with out this forum.

Now get ready for more newby questions. What is the usual way of finishing the surface of a sprocket? Do people paint them?
Also, does anyone use the funky washers that go around 2 nuts on the sprocket (part # 1J3-25412-00)? I spoke to a buddy & he said that a spring washer & locktite is just as good.

Cheers.

Posted via Mobile

I believe I'd use the stock washers,as Locktite and lockwashers can loosen with the kind of vibration you get at that location.The stock plates will keep the bolts where you put them. lha

Use non-serviceable loctite if you decide to go that route; it requires heat to remove. This is how everything is attached to my gsx-r 750.

You can polish the sprocket, but I wouldn't paint it; the chain will shred the edges instantly.

I have three different final drive [rear]sprockets,and three different sized primary[front]sprockets for my Dt400 dirt bike.I didn't plan it that way,just bought some boxes of parts and they were in there,and dirty,so I painted them to match the bike[Yellow]. I used hardened paint,baked in an oven at 200 degrees for an hour after curing.The chain marked the paint in the area of contact,but no more. lha

since we're talkin about sprockets here, i gotta quick question---
whatre the stock # of teeth on both the front and rear sprockets?

Thanks for the info guys. I might just re-use the stock washers for the mean time.

@Rodeo, I have an xs250 with a 39 tooth rear and 16 tooth front.

The new sprocket is 200g lighter than the old one, anyone know what kind of a performance improvement that will make? :laugh:

thanks Pork Chop. i actually did some more research and found that the XS400 has a 16 front and 37 rear. im wantin to go with either a 17 or 18t front. any suggestions guys? thanks again!

A 17t sprocket will get you to about stock and an18 will get you a little higher than stock,giving you a little more top speed,but less low end get-up and go unless your bike runs pretty well.I once had a modified H1 Kawa,and put a 1tooth larger primary sprocket on it,and it was dangerously fast!! It would wheeley in 5th gear at about 90mph. lha

Back