it runs!!!!! sort of

redratbike

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
ok so last time i introduced myself and my wreck of a bike
asboughtxs250trackerbobberproject003.jpg

so today i put new plugs in and fitted a new ignition switch ,set the points and ,changed the fuses and connected the kill switch wires together after the switch fell apart when i pulled it apart last week.Also fitted a new clutch cable. (wishful thinking)

checked for a spark on a spare plug then poured petrol down a funnel connected to the fuel pipe spun over quickly on my aprilia mille spare battery and tried to fire ..but didnt catch
scratching my head i realised i had pulled the airfilters off and this may have a dramatic effect after reading some of your posts about fitting pod filters upsetting the jetting,so put the filters back on and tried again..it eventully fired after i tried feathering the throttle,choke on ,choke off etc

very slow to pick up and didnt want to rev..just sat at 2500 revs or so .. doesnt help that i'm just pouring petrol into rather than using the tank as its very rusty inside and didn't want to use it
oints003.jpg

started it up a couple more times and then pulled the carbs off ready to give them a going over with carb cleaner and blow the jets through hopefully that will help it out.

Ran a scothpad drill attachment over the cases on this side compare with the pic at the top of this thread...cleaned up ok i thought

oints002.jpg

when i was setting the points looks like the screws have been butchered as per pic below , does anybody know what size i need to buy? or just easier to order from Yambits or whoever?

oints001.jpg

Last edited:
yep..very pleased it started ..just need to find a decent tank so once the carbs are clean i can get it running properly

Back