Itchy's '81 Project Begins...

Itch

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello XS400 community,

Just got my first XS400 this month and this site was the nail in the coffin that has sealed my fate in starting this bike project. I've never worked on bikes, but I've become a member and have been reading all kinds of threads on here. Lots and lots of great stuff. I'm planning to turn the bike into a cafe racer, but am open to other suggestions. Here are the first items I'm tackling that I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with.

PROBLEM: The horn assembly seems to be intact, but the button on the left side handlebar is missing. See photo.

QUESTION: Should I get a whole new horn assembly or can I fix the current one?

PROBLEM: The electric start button is also missing, but again the housing and assembly seem to be intact. See photo.

QUESTION: Should I lose the electric start assembly and just go solo on the kick start or should I try to jerry-rig a start button?

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Itch

Photos of bike, electric starter and horn housing.

Attachments

• MyYamaha XS400.jpg
    MyYamaha XS400.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 2012-06-23 14.41.36.jpg
    2012-06-23 14.41.36.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 2012-06-23 14.41.54.jpg
    2012-06-23 14.41.54.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 223
the horn and elec start buttons are the same. as JMD says you can get them off eBay.

the internal webbing doesn't like ham fisted kickers, engage the kick before pushing down.

Thanks JMD_Forest and drewpy. So, basically pickup two horn buttons from eBay, right? Because they are the same i.e. interchangeable.

Ham fisted kickers? Don't understand the colloquial?

Just ordered two buttons from yambits on Ebay. The cost was cheaper for two from the UK than one from my own state in the U.S. What sense is that? Are these bikes more prevalent in the UK?

Just ordered two buttons from yambits on Ebay. The cost was cheaper for two from the UK than one from my own state in the U.S. What sense is that? Are these bikes more prevalent in the UK?

they are universal and fit xs750, 850, 1100 and RD's etc good old yam parts bins.

ham fisted = treating it rough

Thanks Drewpy. Do you know how to key a replacement key? I want an extra copy, but the local store says they can't cut one to match. Anyone know how to get replacement keys?

Go to yamaha they will have one or have to get one sent from japan. Cost me $20 and took about 2 weeks:) Had to do it for both of my xs400's

Back