It's alive!

cturek

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
After a tear down and rebuild that took just about 1 year, I started it this morning and was able to take it for a ride. It started after about 5 or 6 kicks with no choke. Of course there are some items that made themselves evident during the ride, but overall it ran great, idled smoothly at 1000 rpm and pulled in all gears. It was only bench synced and should run better after a vac sync. The best part is the plugs are dry and a good tan color, not too lean, not too rich. The idle screws are set at 3.5 turns out.

Anyway, here's a picture. I'll post some more pics and a video so you can here it run after I clean all my polished parts of the grime they picked up during assembly. Comments or suggestions welcome.

5697305238_35bd2961e9_b.jpg

5697305470_e442fd2b8d_b.jpg

Its the same seat but I re-shaped the foam to remove the step and I also trimmed the bottom of the seat pan to remove the "point" that dipped down behind the side cover to give the seat a slimmer appearance. I also re-covered the seat with medium weight vinyl.

One of the things that made itself evident after today's first ride is the clutch rod seal leaks BAD. It's located at the seam between the cases but I remember reading on the 650 site that you can replace the seal without having to split the cases if your careful driving it in.

Anybody have success replacing this seal without a tear down?

i like the bike your seat gives it a good look, how do you like the buckhorns i tried them for a little while but just couldnt get the hang of them, took the stock bars of my shadow put a cheater on both grip ends and bent slowly then bent in, gives me the feel of the ol spider bicycle, think i did read that article on the 650 site looks like if your carful its a go, but the instructions for my kids swingset said 1 hour assembly, ha

Back