It's not much right now

RockSlyde

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So here's the start of the project. I know it's not much to look at right now,

Project List
1. tear down the engine, and redo all the seals, and make sure everything is in working order engine wise.

2. minilmalstic street-legal rewire.

3. repaint

4. reduce as much weight as possible

5. style into Cafe Racer.

I plan to get the kids involved so this project may take a bit, but i figure, they'll get a chance to learn, any way here's a picture to go along with the idea, I'm always open to new ways to do things.

xs400.jpg

It looks like you have a lot of work to do:wink2: Good luck and keep posting pics of what you do:thumbsup:

I can see the possibilities! This is an exciting time in the build. The minimal idea could translate into removing the mufflers and wraping or just painting the downpipes.

Depending on the 'look' you are going for, you can also paint the engine covers for a very fast way to dress up the machine versus polishing them.

Which way do you think you all will choose to go?

Going to go the wrapping route for sure, i love that look, as well as painting the engine covers, just to spruce it up. I'm trying to keep the budget for this build under $1000. I'm getting my seat cover from one of my co-workers who mostly does saddle work for horses, but she's going to hook me up with a custom made saddle, once i get the frame work done.

Alright first update. Can't get the old girl started, but I knew there were some issues going into this build. but i got the bike for next to nothing, so i'm not going to bitch.

Things i know that need to happen, right away.
1. New Battery
2. Oil Filter. I probably should have checked to see if that was there, before trying to start it. wasn't too stoked to see a black puddle under my bike...

Got a little bit of progress done today, before i get any farther, i want to get a game plan laid out, so i don't lose what i've got going on in my head.

Now for some pictures.

2012-07-12110331-1.jpg

2012-07-12110421.jpg

2012-07-12110439.jpg

2012-07-12130541.jpg

2012-07-12110359.jpg

Filter, filter cover and filter bolt.

After that- clean those carbs....and I mean clean!

Welcome to the group!

Filter, filter cover and filter bolt.

After that- clean those carbs....and I mean clean!

Welcome to the group!

follow this and you will be running in no time :thumbsup:

my 79 was the same way it was not running when i got her
lots of missing parts :banghead: that was the worst trying to find what i needed
with ebay and this forum you will have all the info you will need

now she is running and soon will be back on the road :thumbsup:

just know it can be done and you will get her on the road again :bike:

Awesome, thank you for the part list for the Oil filter. Looking forward to getting her started. Once i get her started, weight reduction comes next. then the wiring. Think i've read Drewpy's wiring post 30 times now. I've got a week of vacation coming up in august where some serious work can begin!

Got a bit more of the tear down done. pulled the battery box which was rusted to hell, and most of the electronics and wires. I slightly goofed, and forgot to label what went were. but that's of no moment, since i plan on cutting out as much of the useless electronics, and i want to teach myself the wiring. I did however keep everything wrapped up so i can take it apart, stretch it out and make a diagram of it. So the more i take this apart, the more i'm seeing why it wasn't starting. everything is original so i'm sure from years of use/abuse/neglect, some of the electronics are shot. yay more money out the drain. Yay for knowing that i can tear out a lot of crap. boo for knowing that there's a lot of rust and having to replace stuff, and have the frame repainted for sure.

Had some free time this week, lot's of rust, Lots of stuff to replace, thank you ebay for decent prices. Ran into a snag in trying to pull the engine off the frame, which is the screw holding in the Tach, is stripped out.... So now i have to figure out how to get that little bastard out. (I'll be replacing the tach cable anyway, so i may just cut the entire line, and pull the engine out and go from there.

Alright tear down is almost complete. now to just pull the wheels, forks, and swing arm off.
after that, find a place to put the engine so i can tear it apart. Gremlins be damned!
Also i thought i had all the fluids out. as you can see by the pool of black under the engine, i did not...

2012-08-19140418.jpg

2012-08-19140346.jpg

2012-08-19140311.jpg

2012-08-19140255.jpg

Back