just an intro

ratrodder69

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals I'm new here and have posted answers in a few places and figured I'd better introduce myself. I have built a few sportsters and just got my latest one on the road in April. However, I'm getting tired of v-twins cuz every one has one so about a year ago I started looking for a triumph basket case I could get on the cheap. While reading the horse one day there was an article on a bike shop that was building(what I thought where) bitchin triumph bobbers while drooling on the pages I noticed one of them had Yamaha on the engine case :wtf: hello xs650!! I was on the lookout for one of these bad boys!! In my searching a buddy said he thought his brother had one of those bikes so off we go to the barn behind mom's house well not a 650 but two 400s! Ok get a call into brother and tell me how much. Fifty bucks gets you the one that was starting to run rough when I parked it and the parts bike with a stuck motor
sign me up I'm building another bike!!! I'm gonna build this bike for my son he's thirteen and loves bikes so I figure we can have a quality father son activity and he gets transportation. Now that that's out of the way (sorry so long ) here's what the plan is. First get the boy a bad ass little bike and don't spend more than $500 on parts. This doesn't include tools as the first thing on the agenda is to make a frame jig! Hey I've always wanted one!! So this bike is going to be a rigid little single seat bobber the plan is to get rid of the two side tubes on the backbone and stretch the rear about four inches and lolower it till it's about 4-5" off the ground. Then we'll make a Springer front end and the plan is to heavily modify the tank. I'm hoping to do a full build thread on this bike so my boy can look back and see all the hard work that went into his first ride :thumbsup:

sounds like a good time... my dad did the same but we built a vw bug together fun stuff loved the car too till i got tboned but a drunk teenager... hope u and your son enjoy it. i hope to do the same with my daughters (got 2 girls hoping for a boy next) if they dont get caught up in barbies and makeup and boys

welcome ratrod, sounds like a plan to me, with the uK laws my son can have a 50cc moped at 16, so I got a basket case 1973 Gilera touring for us to work on.

look forward to your build pikkies

Back