Just got an 82 Maxim

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Got it yesterday. Has about 10,000 miles on it and seems in fairly good shape. Its my first bike and am in the basement of the learning curve. Don't even have a license for it yet. I'm not a kid, so call it a mid life crisis or second childhood..... I've always wanted a bike but the time was never right. Then, my son bought an 74 CB 350, and I figured now is the time; although wife was not at all happy....

Only got basic mechanical skills, but, I think between you tube and this forum, I will be able to muddle through some needed repairs. My first question is where can I get my hands on a manual? I see ones fore SOHC, but the Maxim is DOHC and maybe they are close enough...

The bike had one carb recently rebuilt and starts and runs very smooth. The only problem is stopping. I think the front brake has a leak. The back brake works but sticks. I've got a lil research to do...

Anyway, really happy to be an xs400 owner. I'll be spending a lot of time reading these threads...

Attachments

• 82xm400 (640x480).jpg
    82xm400 (640x480).jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 373
The SOHC and DOHC only share non engine related parts. Total rethink of the engine and frame between the DOHC and SOHC models.

The DOHC manual on this site will work for your Maxim. They have the same mechanics and frame, just the styling is different (tank, headlights, and stuff) and the Seca has 6 gears instead of the 5 on your Maxim. The rest is identical and parts are totally interchangeable.

Have fun with the Maxim! :) here's some tips to get you started

Thanks. I've already printed out Willem's tips to use.

My first problem, I'm embarrassed to say is checking the oil. What is the trick to getting the bike up on the double kickstand. I'm not a weakling, but it seems awkward.

ah. that's one of those things if you've never done it before you'll make yourself look like a fool.

The trick is to hold your bike with your left hand on the left handlebar grip (keep the wheel pointing forward), and the right hand under the seat. Then push the center stand down so it touches the floor, and hold the bike so that it's touching on both 'feet' of the center stand. So two points of contact with the floor and the stand. Then put your weight on the foot you're pushing it down with, and pull up with your right hand. That way you'll lift up the back while pushing down on the stand, which will make it very nice and easy. Pretty sure you can watch some youtube vids about it as well :)

and don't worry, the first two weeks I had my xs I didn't know how to open the seat :wtf: so I couldn't even get to the carbs to clean them haha

Welcome to the Forum. Nice choice. Too bad it's not red though ... :wink2:

The guys have gotten you off to a good start I see, so I will simply ad - spend the $3 asap and put in an in-line fuel filter. If your carbs happen to be fine (as mine were from my PO) you may not have to fool with them. There will be plenty of other stuff to fool with. I've put on 15,000 kms without the need to do a single thing to the carbs.

Keep us posted. If your wife is worth keeping ..:shrug:. she will grow to love how riding your bike puts a big smile on your face every time you come in the door after a ride ... :thumbsup:

Thanks! I printed out the instructions for using the center kickstand and the worked like a charm. I'm almost ready to take off the training wheels. LOL

Thanks! I printed out the instructions for using the center kickstand and the worked like a charm. I'm almost ready to take off the training wheels. LOL
:yikes: .. Don't take off the training wheels until you have practised putting you feet down in time.
I know, it sounds silly ... I'm just saying .. :wink2:

Back