Just got another

xschris

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Yep this is now four of them for me. 1981 SH. Paid $250 for it and it was only 20 mins away. Already been to dmv and put the title in my name. It is going to need a lot of work as the P.O. was retarded I guess because so much was screwed up. It has 11k miles on it. The exhaust is shot and it will need a full going through. I did start it after an oil change and fresh fuel and is seems to run fine. Another good winter project for me:laugh::doh:

Attachments

• 0913151347.jpg
    0913151347.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 356
  • 0913151346a.jpg
    0913151346a.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 319
  • 0913151346.jpg
    0913151346.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 302
That's a righteous bike.

I get the impression that these bikes are just a lot more common down in the USA.

Those (stickers) are actually plastic badges held on with rubber foam and strong glue. :banghead: A big pain to get off. I had to rescue the bike from it's ghetto crap hell it was put through. :laugh:

Attachments

• DSC03023.jpg
    DSC03023.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Just the title is worth the 250. But it needs a lot. Exhaust, carbs rebuilt, petcock, air filters, fuse block, plugs/wires, seat latch hardware, chain/sprockets, carb manifold boots, fork oil and dust covers. That is just what I see so far:doh: The biggest this was the the rear engine mounts look to have been re-welded at some point. The last owner for some reason removed the front engine mounting bolts. In doing this caused the motor to vibe a lot and break the rear ones. It was a pain in the ass but I got the front ones back on and everything lines up good now.

good find! Looks like you will be busy all winter.. who am i kidding, the bike will be done and 100lbs lighter by November lol

:laugh: Nope this will stay stock. I will take my time with it. With three already on the road I don't need to hurry. I first thought about parting it out but I just can't help myself and want to keep it instead. :D All I need is a 77 and 78 and I will have all the years.

:laugh: Nope this will stay stock. I will take my time with it. With three already on the road I don't need to hurry. I first thought about parting it out but I just can't help myself and want to keep it instead. :D All I need is a 77 and 78 and I will have all the years.

don't be greedy now :D

I better put an extra lock on my garage! I have a 1977 and 1978! And also not far from Chris! Actually have not been out there yet this morning:D

:thumbsup: I was asked why another xs400 at the dealership the other day and told them that with all the parts I have and knowing how to fix most things with them why not. It's a good little bike that goes plenty fast for me and does everything I need. :) Progress is slow with the 81 as I am trying to make the work last through the winter. Fixed the poorly fixed motor mounts so everything is good and safe now. I have most of the parts and a good idea what I will be doing with it. I was a little disappointed with the gas tank as the inside has a bit more rust and paint over spray from the last retarded owner:banghead:
But I do have another clean tank:D Going with another set of xs360 carbs for it. Picked up a NOS left muffler and a super clean low mileage right one for $150 total.

Attachments

• DSC03042.jpg
    DSC03042.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC03043.jpg
    DSC03043.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 259
It's getting hard to find a bike that has not been butchered. Most of the ones that do come up are ruined and all cut up. Then they ask a crazy price for their "bobbed" master piece :laugh: My biggest regret is cutting a few frame bits off my 80. I fixed some of it but the damage has been done:(

Last edited:
Had a look at a 2E being sold locally. Looked all right in the fuzzy online photo but was rusted through in places. Described as "complete" but missing at least $300 in parts at first glance, plus new tires.
Would have been good for a complete custom build but not anywhere close to the asking price.

The search continues.

These xs400`s are very rare in my kneck of the woods,i check craigslist looking ale time,if i find one its been chopped up and thats a big if.Even with the problems my bike has its hard to let go of it.

I wanted to grab another, and there is one for sale locally. Guy wants $3000, it's chopped up to all hell and the 'upgrades' are all the worthless emgo junk :(

I tried telling him it's worth less than a complete stock bike but you know what happens when you try explaining that to somebody. I offered him $350 and he told me to beat it.

It's still for sale 3 months later.....

I wanted to grab another, and there is one for sale locally. Guy wants $3000, it's chopped up to all hell and the 'upgrades' are all the worthless emgo junk :(

I tried telling him it's worth less than a complete stock bike but you know what happens when you try explaining that to somebody. I offered him $350 and he told me to beat it.

It's still for sale 3 months later.....

That's a common problem with anything "personalized"! I don't care how much you spent to have the "Hello Kitty" picture painted on the tank, I'm going to have to pay someone to strip that off and spray a coat of gloss black on it. So that $1,000.00 paint job is going to cost me a lot of money to get rid of.

Hope I did not offend all the "Hello Kitty" fans here, I know you are out there!:D

Back