Just sayin Hello

jrhowe

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been on the site a couple of weeks now and wanted to say hello. I recently aquired an 81 xs400 H hopefully this will be my first bike? In the process of getting a title for her to make it official. I haven't put any money in her yet till I now shes mine. Justs got the electrical cleaned up and in the process of cleaning the carbs up. All the threads have been a great help thanks to all!!!

Attachments

• 81 yamaha XS400-2 before 003.jpg
    81 yamaha XS400-2 before 003.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 81 yamaha XS400-2 before 002.jpg
    81 yamaha XS400-2 before 002.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 81 yamaha XS400-2 before 006.jpg
    81 yamaha XS400-2 before 006.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 270
Welcome to the forum! looks like most of the parts are there, does it run?

It does look like it's been dropped on both sides at least once, judging by the handlebars and the rear left flasher and exhaust. But that shouldn't be an issue, mine has been dropped/knocked over at least 5 times by now lol

good luck getting the title!

Welcome to the site good luck with the bike but I wish you guys would learn to stay away from bikes with out titles unless you plan on parting it out or you know that your not in for a ton of red tape to get it legalized.

Welcome to the forum! looks like most of the parts are there, does it run?

It does look like it's been dropped on both sides at least once, judging by the handlebars and the rear left flasher and exhaust. But that shouldn't be an issue, mine has been dropped/knocked over at least 5 times by now lol

good luck getting the title!

well it fires up!! After I got the electrical cleaned up and put 25$ in fuses on it I removed the carbs to clean them and hit it with a little squirt of starting fluid and it fired up for a second.:thumbsup: I got the bike for free from a neighbor so the only thing I am losing on is 25$ and time!! The bike says it has 1823 miles on it and it has been in the garage for ten years.

Welcome to the Forum - but don't run it with old gas in it or until you install an in-line fuel filter. You wouldn't want to clean your carbs only to plug them up on your first ride when something that grew inside the tank over 10 years gets flushed down into them.

Check out Willem's thread - it's a "what to do" when you first get an old bike. It will help you to prevent several newbie-owner inflicted maintenance opportunities.

Welcome to the Forum - but don't run it with old gas in it or until you install an in-line fuel filter. You wouldn't want to clean your carbs only to plug them up on your first ride when something that grew inside the tank over 10 years gets flushed down into them.

Check out Willem's thread - it's a "what to do" when you first get an old bike. It will help you to prevent several newbie-owner inflicted maintenance opportunities.

Thanks I think I already read it and I will clean the tank and put an in-line filter in.... I just hit it with starting fluid to se if it would fire and it did..

well at least you know you've got some good spark then :)

yea go through the steps, it'll let you and your bike get to know each other a bit more intimately ;) and most of it doesn't cost any money so thats a plus

Just a quick update after 7 months of tring to get the title I was succesfull ! She if all mine now! Court appointed title Yea me

I will post some more soon on the progress since I can start putting time and money into her..Thanks for all the great advice given and experiances passed down. I have had a lot of time to read alot of the posts and issues with others bikes and will apply it to my ride..

Back