Just wanted to say Thank You!!!

unclejofus

Unclejofus
Reaction score
Hi Everyone - new member/first post. And I just wanted to say thank you - my Brother and I recently opened our own little shop building custom cafe/bobber/street fighter bikes. Our first build has been a 1981 XS400 Special II Cafe Racer - and man, thanks to this forum and the freakin' wealth of knowledge/experience on these bikes that all of you have shared, you helped us solve so many issues :banghead: with our first custom build - we have some minor issues left (charging & LED Turn signals) but, thanks to you guys, we are pretty much on our way to fixing them. I posted several photos under two albums on this forum (before and after):

The Transformation - Stock to Cafe 1981 XS400 Special II Part 1
The Transformation - Stock to Cafe 1981 XS400 Special II Part 2

Not sure how to do a link to them but, when you have a chance, I hope you guys can check out this ride ... recently took "Best Custom Cafe Racer" in a show in Cocoa Beach, FL judged by the guys at Dime City Cycles in Tampa ... I'm not here to promote our shop/business - just to say thank you - the posts/information on this forum has been invaluable and continues to be so for us ... plus, we are hetting to know these bikes pretty well - they make a great platform for a cafe racer (along with many other creative designs based on what I have seen here). Sadly, this bike will be on ebay shortly :shrug:

Thank you again!!!

unclejofus

Attachments

• DSC09316.jpg
    DSC09316.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 355
she looks good from behind. now lets see them headlights! lol seroiusly tho, that is awesome. great job on the paint. we need more shots of her sides and front.

Thanks, Bro ... I did post two albums on the forum showing the before, during and after shots ... would really appreciate your comments/feedback on the final version after you see all of the pics! Lets see if I do this right with the following links to the photos ...

The Transformation - Stock to Cafe 1981 XS400 Special II Part 1 http://www.xs400.com/forum/album.php?albumid=138

The Transformation - Stock to Cafe 1981 XS400 Special II Part 2 http://www.xs400.com/forum/album.php?albumid=139

Looks good! I am curious. I see a pod filter on the left, but I see the original filter cover on the right. Are you just using the cover to 'cover' the pod or whatever is behind the cover?

... original filter boxes are gone - the mesh side covers are actually made from security doors that once housed large computer servers. The original battery box is still there - wish I had discovered the Shorai batteries earlier - if so, the battery box would have been gone and all would have been tucked under the tail piece ... oh well! Not sure if you guys have seen these Shorai batteries (Lithium Ion) ... the one for the XS400 is about the size of two packs of cigarettes (and almost as light ... honest!!!)

damn! i want one. lol cant seem to find one. i used the search bar, but it didnt have an XS400 one. it had xs650 and larger. and an RD400, and an SR500. i clicked the RD and it doesnt exist yet. :(

... nice ride for sure, drewpy - man, that bikes looks great in the traditional Yamaha Yellow - old school - I love it!!! And yes, our bike does sound similar to yours ... although these cheap little video cameras have pretty crappy mics, this will give you a little idea of the sound - check it out:

And for your information guys, I got the Shorai battery at https://www.motomummy.com/store ... these things are still way too expensive in my opinion; however, they can resolve any space issues. And Motomummy seemed to have the best price with free shipping (within the lower 48 states)!

Shorai Lightweight Battery
Options: Model: LFX14A2-BS12 (+50)
Subtotal: $139.95
Shipping cost: $0.00

Total: $139.9

Back