Kickstart got stuck

PEPXS400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went for a ride today and stopped for 45min. Went to kickstart the bike back up and it wouldn't even budge. Put in gear and pushed it a little. The kickstart broke free. Started the bike and road it home. Don't want to start it again as not to hurt anything.

Any ideas on what would cause this?

If one of the pistons is at Top Dead Center the kickstarter can't turn over the engine. I learned this in Dynamics last quarter but I can't remember why... something about moment arms and centers of rotation or something.

Anyway, the point is that by rocking the bike forward in gear you are moving the pistons away from TDC which will allow the kickstarter to turn the crankshaft. If there is no grinding or leaking then it should be fine

Thanks for the insight.! No grinding or fluid. Whew! It road great coming home. I did notice the bike would stutter a little when just cruising at a constant speed. Almost like it was starving then not. My guess is when I tear the carbs apart this winter and give them a good cleaning, it should fix the problem.

Glad to hear it was running well:) Cant give any input on the stuttering but I know a bit about kickstarters. It turns out my starter doesn't work so I have to use the kicker...

Have fun with the carbs this winter!!

Back