Laundry list for tracker conversion

bennymack

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I've got so many questions but I'll try to keep it on the subject of a street tracker conversion.

IMG_20110810_172317.jpg

So, I have my 78 xs400e on the road after fixing some minor electrical issues and it's growing on me. I'm planning on doing all the normal stuff like steering head bearings, swingarm bushings, fork oil level adjustment, shock replacement, etc. I think I can figure those out on my own or start new topics as needed.

I've come to the conclusion that I want to go with a street tracker style build. I like the upright position, vs the laid down cafe style, plus it already has the right bars. I believe there are three major components to achieving the look I want: tank/fender, spoke wheels, battery removal/pod air filters.

tank/fender: I've looked at a lot of photos and I'm thinking the XR style tank/fender replicas are the way I want to go. Where's the best place to source something that will bolt right up? I'd like to keep the cutting of frame material to a minimum. Would Omar's suit this bill? Or are there better/less expensive/easier routes?

spoke wheels: would it be feasible to pick up some spoke wheels off ebay and install them? Is there a way to know what ones would fit my xs400? I see a lot of XS650 and Tx500 wheels pop up but I'm worried they won't fit for some reason and i don't see how to get the measurements to see if they'll work. Also, with spoke wheels there's no way to run tubeless, is that correct? If I did get a 19" front, would I need a new fender since it might rub? Would omar's conversion kit work for the rear?

battery/air filter: I really like the look of a "see-through" motorcycle. That is, with the battery box and air filters replaced with pod filters so you can see right through the bike. (No number plates either.) I'm good enough with electrical stuff (I think) to hook up a mini 12v battery to activate the generator electromagnet. Then I'd also like to go kickstart only. Is it straightforward to remove the starter? Are there special considerations I should take if doing so?

Well, that's about 1/3 of my questions but they are the important ones. If I've failed to search the forum enough and the answers are already there, I apologize. Thanks in advance!

very few tank bolt up the our severely discusting triple backbone. i know someone on here, cant remember who, but they put an RD tank or it or something by modifying the tank tunnel. check that out.

as for spoked wheels, youll need forks for spoke wheels as well as different levers as they will be drums actuated by a cable. same with the rear. youll have to get a different swing, one specific to to spoke wheels. and youll need to fab up the brake cable linkage and stay. both wheels have differend sized hubs compared to the xs650. 17mm in the rear for the 400, and 20mm in the rear i belive for the 650. i dont remember the size for the front tho.

if your making a tail section of some sort, locate all the battery and wiring stuff in there. i would also out on smaller turn signals. some sporty looking mini ones.
when you put pods on, you will have to rejet the carbs. same if you modify the exhaust. i would go with a mac 2-1 for the tracker look.

removing the starter assembly is pretty simple. check out the HOW-TO on splitting the crankcase i did. i belive i put in a small section about that.

and remember, your stock take offs are worth money. try to sell them on here. your parts are in great shape. someone will want them.

for the record, if you do any of the little things i mentioned, and you hadnt thought of it till now, i claim inspiration:D:D

Hi,
You need to check out my tracker blog.
There's loads of info for you in there.
:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

lots of trackers keep the cast wheels and the rounded style tank.. and you would save cash

just get a seat unit to start and see what it looks like ...i'd say pretty good

Some good news and bad news in the replies I guess. Hmm, what have I learned far.

tank: I was hoping someone had experience mounting Omar's XR tank to an XS400. It's tricky 'cause I can go with the matched pair omar tank and fender or the fender that works with the stock tank (which I'd really prefer to ditch). drewpy, it looks like you had a tank custom built? How much does that sort of thing cost and is there a good source for that sort of work in the US? Is that one of omar's rear tails? (I read through your blog a few times but couldn't figure it out.)

I definitely don't want to convert to drum. I specifically bought this bike for the f/r disc brakes. From what I gather, the XS650 spacing is wider than XS400 and it's harder to fit things that are too big than building up things that are too small. drewpy built up some wheels with xs250 hubs so that looks very interesting to me (oof, ebay prospects not good).

volcomskater77 thanks for the case splitting tip! I saw that but had not read it yet. If I were to remove the starter, would I then need to plug the hole that leads to the clutch area? I'm guessing it's full of motor oil and the starter area is not meant to have motor oil in it?

With regards to the exhaust, what would you say the exhaust on there now is? It's pretty loud and raspy I'd say. Do the mac 2-1 systems have any benefit flow/horsepower wise? What would be the best way to know if it's correctly jetted for the pipes on it now? It starts up well. Seems like one cylinder starts before the other then I can hear it kick in a second later. It falls on its face a bit when cold. I'm not sure how much power these bikes are supposed to have but the acceleration is pretty underwhelming compared to the '03 DRZ400S I just sold, but maybe that's to be expected? I just want to be sure I'm getting the most out of it.

My tank cost about £150 to get built in steel. the rear seat is an XR750 replica.
Good luck on the xs250 hubs European only . Might pay to look at the rd. Wheels

Posted via Mobile

Back