Leaking Gas.

pgerber7

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm a little bit puzzled. My bike is leaking gas out of the carbs. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it can either be slow or really fast. I had the bike parked in the garage most of the weekend due to thunderstorms and had no issues. I rode the bike to the gym today. I was in there maybe fifty minutes. And I came out to a nice puddle under my bike. I rode it home no problem. Went inside ate came out another small puddle. I rode it around the neighborhood this time I center standed it and its not leaking.

First I would check your float level and make sure it's set correct. Then I would replace the float valves if they are old. Then check and make sure the petcock is not flowing gas with the bike off ( these are vacuum operated).

I took the tank and the carbs off again. I checked the vacuum line from the carb to the tank. It checked out okay. However. I did check the floats and one valve was stuck. So after messing with that they both move freely now. And everything appears to be okay currently.

you should run through and clean the carbs again, make sure there is nothing on the needle. it doesnt take much to gunk them up.

Back