leaky from under the chain cover

renne061

new to the XS world
Reaction score
Hey all, I finally got to get my bike out on the highway and put on some miles (about 180mi) over the 4th of July weekend. I've been busy since but during all that riding I realized that I have a fairly decent leak from under the clutch cable/chain cover. After getting to take it off and run the bike to warm things up it looks like it may be from the clutch shaft seal.

Does anyone have any experience with this or a replacement that might be available? While I was watching it, the seal only really leaked when I would wiggle the shaft that is coming out.

Possibly part 15?

Attachments

• CLUTCH - 1980 Yamaha XS400G.pdf
    127.1 KB · Views: 442
I just replaced mine. I got the seal from Bike Bandit. Installing it was very easy. Just pull out the clutch shaft, hook onto the old seal and pull it out. Before you install the new one, remove any burr/smooth the corner of the hole the seal goes into so it doesn't get snagged when your pushing it in. Use a phillips screw driver with a round shaft to push the seal into place. Put the seal on the shaft of the screwdriver up to the handle, stick the shaft of the screwdriver into the hole where the push rod use to be and push the seal in. It pops into place with not too much effort.

Thanks for the tips cturek. Sounds like it is somewhat common for these seals to go bad. Ordered a seal from Bike Bandit yesterday so hopefully I can take care of that this weekend.

I had a very similar problem and it turned out to be the neutral indicator switch. Its behind the same clutch cable cover just to the rear of the drive sprocket. Its plastic with 1 wire going into it . It has some form of a rubber o ring type of a seal. Make sure you check it.

I had a very similar problem and it turned out to be the neutral indicator switch. Its behind the same clutch cable cover just to the rear of the drive sprocket. Its plastic with 1 wire going into it . It has some form of a rubber o ring type of a seal. Make sure you check it.

and don't over tighten the bugger, it cracks easily on those 3 screws :doh:

Hello I think I am having that same oil leak problem. Do anyone have the OEM part numbers for these seals. This is the number I have. 358334-001

Thanks

I just replaced mine. I got the seal from Bike Bandit. Installing it was very easy. Just pull out the clutch shaft, hook onto the old seal and pull it out. Before you install the new one, remove any burr/smooth the corner of the hole the seal goes into so it doesn't get snagged when your pushing it in. Use a phillips screw driver with a round shaft to push the seal into place. Put the seal on the shaft of the screwdriver up to the handle, stick the shaft of the screwdriver into the hole where the push rod use to be and push the seal in. It pops into place with not too much effort.

I think mine might be leaking too.

2011-12-19172933.jpg

So, I can just pull the clutch shaft out? Put the seal in and put the shaft back in? Nothing I need to worry about on the other side of the engine (where the clutch pack is??)?

I think I also have a leak behind this bolt:
2011-12-19173002.jpg

What's that??

Side drain bolt. Yes you can pull out the clutch shaft, but don't loose the little ball that is at the other end that might come out as well. And don't turn the engine over when it is out or oil will shoot out.

Back