LED questions

hardtailed77

Never Finished
Reaction score
I have a few questions guys, so here goes....

1) I am running a stock headlight bulb, tailight bulb, and speedo bulb. Nothing else. I want to change the tailight/brakelight to LED, but I don't want a pre-made product. What is involved in LEDs to wire together for a tail/brake light if I buy them in singles or even a flexible strip? I would like to have them on when the key is on, then get brighter with the use of the brakes.

2) I also want to use a few LEDs for custom turn signals. Want would I use to make them flash?

3) Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to buy for the above projects? I mean as far as what LEDs would work on the XS without draining the battery, or burning the bike down. I get the just of basic electric, but I'm lost.

4) Changing to LED in the brake/tail, and turn signal lights should take some strain off of the charging system, correct?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm in the dark when it comes to this part of the build! HELP!!

Well, what I can tell you is this- when you use a "build your own" LED system, you will need to calculate what value of resistor is needed for each circuit. You can't just put 12 volts through and LED- they will blow. There are formulas online to figure this out. When one uses premade automotive or MC replacement LED lights, the resistor is built into the light.

Also, to make them flash, you will need a flasher designed to work with LEDs or some sort of "load resistor" made for the purpose of allowing the LEDs to work with the stock flasher. There are a few standard flashers that may work with LEDs, but it's hit and miss....mostly miss.

To make LEDs brighter for a brake light, for instance, what you do is wire it so some of the LEDs light up for the tail light, but all of them light up for the brake. For instance, in a grouping of 24 LEDs for a tail/brake light, you could have 12 light up for the tail and all 24 light up for the brake light. Another option is making a dual resistance circuit so there is more resistance when the tail light is needed, and less when the brake light is needed.

Here is a link to a place where LEDs and flashers are available as well as some good information:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/

I understand the desire to build it yourself. Here is what I did with my motorized bicycle which is between what you propose and using premade units, closer to your idea.

I started with a premade automotive light LED replacement (like the one pictured below) and removed the LEDs and the small, round circuit board they are attached to from the bulb base. I then soldered leads to the circuit board. I then built my own signal mounts and receptacle using, of all things, copper plumbing fittings.

light0.jpg

dsc005141.jpg

reducedrear.jpg

LEDs draw much less current than standard bulbs, but on my XS400, I am running stock lights of all kinds, but I use a 55w/60w halogen headlight. Even with this load, everything works fine and the battery stays charged.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks fellas! Yeah, I would like to try my hand at making my own lights for sure. I have this idea of trying to integrate a few LEDs into my top rails of my hardtail. This should give a cleaner look than traditional lights, not to mention give me the satisfaction of saying they are one-off custom parts made by yours truly. lol I think having a small strip, one on each rail, would look awesome. I also had the idea to do a more traditional tail/brake light off to one side of the bike, but instead of using the common Model A light, I could take LEDs, put them in a custom housing, and cut XS400 into it. That way, when you look at the light at night, the red light from the LEDs would shine thru the letter cutouts in the housing and read XS400. Im just trying to come up with a few things that you dont see at every bike night I guess. I looked at the Super Bright LEDs website, but I must say that trying to match up the LEDs to the resistors, and also the right "flashers", is confusing me even more. I may try to give them a call, or shoot an email their way to see if they can set me up with the exact products I need.

By the way, what are your guys' thoughts on the above mentioned "XS400" tail/brake light? Think it's a good idea or just cheesy? lol

Thanks for all the help!

I saw those led turn signals,and they look pretty cool,if a bit pricy for turn signals.If one sees the need,however,price is just relative.I like the looks of the fender mounted signals,but around here,people wouldn't know what that strange flashing light is on the back of the bike. lha:bike:

Back