LED Troubles

Ratracker

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I've got and issue with my blinkers. I'm using LED marker lights from a truck as signals and I've got the EP34 ticker. The lights blink, but all at once!!!??? The switch is good so I'm losing it trying to figure it out. Any feedback would be awesome! Thank you.

Do you have a single dash indicator lamp for the signals? If so, you will have to isolate the left and right circuits with diodes. If not, then check your grounds.

Do you have a single dash indicator lamp for the signals? If so, you will have to isolate the left and right circuits with diodes. If not, then check your grounds.

Thanx for replying man. My bike's a '78 special. I've got the cluster with 3 vertical lights; signal,oil,neutral. Is that what you mean by single? If so, diodes? I'm pretty slow when it comes to electrical. Can you tell me exactly what to get and where/how to install, if it's not too much to ask. Thanks again, I just want to ride! And doyou know if a LED tail/brake light will work fine?

Let me begin by saying I know little about SOHC bikes, I'm a DOHC guy! This is based on what I've read in other posts here and seen in wiring diagrams. Check the appropriate wiring diagram to verify what I'm talking about, I may be wrong!

As I understand it, the signal indicator is fed power from one side, and grounds through the other. This works fine with incandescent bulbs, but with LED's requiring so little power, all the lights flash. To fix this, the 2 wires that go to the indicator lamp need to have diodes installed, then be joined to one side of the indicator lamp. A ground has to be provided for the other side of the lamp. Once this is done, the left side signal won't be able to feed the right side, and the right won't feed the left.

It isn't difficult once you think it through, assuming I haven't gotten it all wrong... :)

16VGTIDAVE is absolutely correct. The diodes are available for less than $1 from Radio Shack. I used 2 "rectifier diodes". Make sure you install the diodes such that they allow current to pass TO the bulb and prevent current FROM the bulb.

16VGTIDAVE is absolutely correct. The diodes are available for less than $1 from Radio Shack. I used 2 "rectifier diodes". Make sure you install the diodes such that they allow current to pass TO the bulb and prevent current FROM the bulb.

my wiring is mangled I'm redoing it all! Do you think wih a simple harness minus the indicator light dash I'll still have issues with all signals flashing? Will I still need diodes in there somewhere?

Without the indicator light you will not need the diodes. To verify this simply remove the indicator bulb (or unplug it from inside the headlight) and you will find only the selected side of the turn signals will light up when selected.

Without the indicator light you will not need the diodes. To verify this simply remove the indicator bulb (or unplug it from inside the headlight) and you will find only the selected side of the turn signals will light up when selected.

Cool, thanx man. I've already yanked the stock harness so I'll update when I'm up an runnin.

Back