Little Rocker shaft help

motopreserve

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. Been lurking the forum for quite some time getting some great info. Finally have a question I can't find in the search.

I have a 1980 400SG that was quickly tuned/modified for the dirtbag challenge - and in our haste to make the deadline, my buddy rode it around the block with the breaker cover off (It had been damaged - and I had yet to extract the snapped screw from the cover and put it back on). Not only did the rocker shaft peek out, but we lost the damn blind plug (I will be searching the ground around the neighborhood endlessly I'm sure).

The shaft appears undamaged in any way. Without removing the cylinder head, it seemed that I could just slide the rocker shaft back in. When I tried to put the shaft back into place it doesn't seem be seating fully. It travels into the opening and through the rocker just fine - but then it gets hung up. Having never disassembled this engine - I am unfamiliar with the proper travel of the shaft.

Can someone tell me whether this shaft is supposed to be seated all the way to the back of the passage? By my measurements, the passage seems to have another 10mm travel than where the shaft stops (seems to be the end of the rocker). Not sure if this means the rocker is bent? Something worse?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Scott

Quick update: I went and searched for the blind plug on the streets near the shop. figured it was a long shot, especially since today was street cleaning in the neighborhood,

Low and behold, I found the thing. Sitting on the ground with no damage at all.

So now I just need to see if this cylinder head needs to come off for inspection, or if the travel I'm getting for the shaft is ok already.

Thanks!

the rocker may be pushing on the valve so the shaft may be pushed off centre preventing it being fully inserted.

ensure the rocker is loose and off cam

Thanks so much for the response!

I was hoping that it might be something that simple - and could be done without removing the engine. Just wanted some confirmation before I dig in.

I started to loosen it up the other day but got distracted. :). I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see if I can get the shaft seated correctly by just giving the adjuster/rocker a little extra play.

Really appreciate the help.

Back