Look what showed up in my yard...

Renegade

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, folks you read that correctly. It showed up in my yard... I had to go out one day to a doctors appointment, and when I came home, laying next to my car, was this old, redish motorcycle. I wasnt sure where it came from or the story behind it..but...as we would all do, I stood her back up, and took a quick look.

After talking with my father, I found out the story. This guy he knows showed up at his work with her in his truck. He just wanted to unload her because she had no title and no keys. So he was going to scrap it. But my father offered him $50 and she was dropped off at my house.

Now my father, not knowing too much about motorcycles, saw that it was a Yamaha and thought it would be great as a parts bike for my Maxim. Sadly...I doubt it...different models, different years, etc.

Still, a motorcycle for $50...that only seems to be missing a few pieces...can pass on it. So now the plan is to strip her down, use anything I can, and see about parting with the rest. It hurts a little cannibalizing a motorcycle like this...but with it I can start my major custom build (a mix now of a 93 Ninja 600 and this 80 xs400 Special II..still not sure which motor to use though...both have pros and cons) and maybe I can help others out with parts they might need and/or want.

So thats my story, I just wanted to share with you guys. Enjoy the pics, and let me know what you think.

1458559_10152295135289799_959436295_n.jpg

1002664_10152295151849799_545280528_n.jpg

You know, i'm not sure what the deal is with that. I'm guessing maybe they drilled into it thinking they could pull the dent out and then patch the tank?

It looks to be is decent shape overall. It makes me want to pick up another project.

Yeah, it is in pretty good shape. i havent really looked into it too much, no keys kinda makes it tough...but there seems to be compression in the motor...so thats a good sign. i figure I might jump the ignition, hook up some gas, and hook up a charger and see what happens.

Now, after looking...I'm wondering if Rob there has any ties to this bike... Same area...and the model in his sig might be the same...lol (I forgot, it might be an 81... production date is 8/80 after all)

Yeah i thought so too. ^_^ I'm still not entirely sure what I will do. Might use this motor, or I might fix the Ninja motor for my build.

Unless by some miracle the title and keys fall into my lap, in which case...then I know what I'd have to do

Who needs keys? Hotwire that baby! You can get a replacement fuel cap.... I run an old Maxim 400 for 5 years with a toggle switch.

yeah, this is true Bill. Or you can do what I ended up doing on my Maxim, just replace the ignition entirely. The problem really becomes titling the bike. I can't get a title for her...but I can get one for a custom build. so thats the route I'm going to take.

I will say here (and later in the classifieds) that since I am stripping her down, I will have some parts that I will be looking to sell. Things like the side covers, the mirrors, the rims, ect. So if there is anything that only is looking to possibly score, let me know. ^_^

I will also probably be starting a build thread as I start in on the whole thing...

Back