Looking for a mechanic/drinking buddy/XS-guru

brockd

XS400 Newbie
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been remotely active in these pages as I 100% thought my XS was going to become someone else's project.
We had an unlucky twist in June and were informed we'd be getting kicked out of our loft/apartment downtown. Between work, packing, moving, more work, and a little vacation (where lots of riding was done) my little XS has laid languid in a front yard in Mississauga waiting for some attention.

We managed to work everything out and find a new place. The best part - it has a garage! It's not very big, it's not very well equipped - but it's a place to store a bike and that suits me fine.

I've had a change of heart on selling the beast and have decided to have a go at performing surgery to try and get her back on the road before having to winterize. A few problems persist - I have extremely limited mechanical know-how, I don't have access to very many bike-specific tools, and I can't afford to bring her to yet another shop in hopes they can get her going.

Is there anyone on here in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area for those not in Ontario) who'd be willing to act as mentor? Nobody knows these machines better than you fine folk. I'm looking for someone I can ask questions to and who might be willing to pop by, suss out the problems, and at least get me pointed in the right direction. I've had the bike in 3 shops and looked at by friends who are bike guys (Harley and Ducati nuts though...) but no-one can seem to figure out why she's not going.

Happy to provide beers/bbqs/banter and an incredibly strong willingness to learn (why didn't I take those shop courses in school :banghead: ).

End rantey-desperate plea.

B

I'd be willing to drink beer and eat BBQ in exchange for pointing at your bike and saying "fix that". :laugh: Finding the time, that can be challenging...

I agree with Dave.especially the beer part.but seriously it's just a process of elimination.find out what does work.fuel spark timing.than go from there.this is my first bike build.cars are a lot harder.built a lot of cars.anyway good luck.hit me up if you have a specific problem.good day

Back