Looking for some help on a restoration

ChrisEarley

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
New here and looked through the post and found some great help on a lot of issues i was having but their is still one that has me scraching my head. Here is my problem. I rebuilt a 1981 xs400SH over the winter. Engine,Electrical,Carborators the whole nine yards. Bike starts and runs ok but i have pooping in the exhaust off the left cylinder on idle and decleration. I have also noticed that the exhaust pipe on the right cylinder is hot but on the left cylinder (the one that is popping) is warm and takes longer to get hot. i have check for air leaks and have found none. Have checked cam timing and ignition timing and bot are set correctly.Values are set by the shop manual. New spark plugs, tan color on plug end. fuel level in carb is set just below the gaskit as the shop manual says. the only thing i am not sure about is air pods.Could they be allowing to much air in? i have put a damping cloth behind them to restrict intake air and it has help some but has not eliminated they problem. Here is a before and a after pic.Any help is greatly appricated and all critasizam is welcomed.
P.S. sorry for the many spelling errors it is not my strongest thing. if you have any questions on a word not spelled correctly please let me know and i will try to correct my mistake.

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 238
  • ResizedImage_1365715466737.jpg
    ResizedImage_1365715466737.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 261
Welcome Chris!

It sounds like the left carb is running lean at idle. You should adjust the idle mixture, and then sync the carbs. Once that is done you will probably need to look into re-jetting the carbs to compensate for the pod filters. I posted a link to a great website with detailed instructions. You should be able to find it with a search.

Welcome chris Dave kinda got it first about jetting for the pods.Theres plenty of info here for that.Now one thing comes to mind when you say oneside is running better than the other and its popping and backfiring.Have yu checked float height.If they are set properly you maybe running to lean on the other side.

Update,
I have fixed the problem i was having with the left cylinder. It ended up being a bad spark plug wire. thank you for all the help i recievied.

Back