lost half of a valve split collar

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
One half of the collar flew out and I cannot find it. are there options available to replace this or am I out of luck. The frustrating part is that everything i have found so far is normal, maybe even above normal inside the top end...pretty frustrating! Help please!

Yes, all part numbers listed on these sites are updated from time to time, and the same diagrams can also be found on Yamaha's website. Typically the diagrams on the OE's website are the most trustworthy. The new parts work the same as the old, but the part numbers will change due to revisions in the overall part design or change in material type, or maybe even a supplier change. From personal experience I have found that the earlier part numbers generally are of better build quality, due to the fact that as time progresses, suppliers must find cheaper and less costly ways to manufacture the more recent parts. This is not saying that new number = bad part.

I lost one also, it was the only small part out of many that I dropped or went flying across the garage that I never found. I brought two, still have the extra one. Lost many slide needle retainers, found them all.

Thank you for the info, I was pretty sure I would be okay. The part has been used for many years and is still being used on The v-twin 650's and many of their ATV's. I will call my local dealer in the morning...you made my night much better-Thanks again!

I would replace them as a pair. It's not a good idea to mix old and new parts. For the price it would be a good idea.

Those were my thoughts exactly, a pair is preferable than 1 new -1 old....so cheap it makes sense at this point. I should start reassembly tomorrow if the parts clean up goes well.Rings are in, valves look great. Valve adjust and such on reassembly. I am also going through my carb once more. Thank you Chris.

Back