lots of Tunning questions. Hanging RPMS,

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so my bike is an 1982 xs400j. Go mikuni carbs. Main jets are 120 or 125 can't remember exactly. Issues I'm having. Hanging rpms around 3-4000 once the bike is warmed up. Throttle response from 2000rpms and bellow is bad. Bad as in can open the throttle as much as I want and nothing happens for 4-6 seconds. In or out of gear. Idle screws are at 4 turns. They were at 2.5 and moving to 4 has greatly helped the throttle response. Question here. Once screw makes a kind of click feel when i turn it like there is a spring I'm compressing. It is also much much tougher to turn than the other screw. Also I have a K&N filter in my air box. How does this change things. And how do i compensate.

How do you know if a bike is running rich or Lean

What I suspect is the problem.

I think if I turn the screw to another turn or two my throttle response will be fixed. But how far until the screws come out or is just to far out?

I don't have an idle screw bracket. The previous owner fabricated his own idle screw bracket. Which is flexible and is 2 piece of metal stuck together at the screw. I think as it warms up the metal flexes a little bit increasing my rpms. At a light ill usual reach down and bend it back a little. I never have to bend it forwards. I'm constantly pulling back on it.

Anybody know where to get a proper idle screw bracket?

I'm really new to motor bike tech so please be descriptive in any suggested procedures. But i am experienced with mechanics.

Back