low stater output. r292 reg battery not charging

yehaw

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey guys iv been reading through some posts and the charging problem seems pretty common. i have an 81 xs400 S and its not charging. if i charge the battery with a charger i can ride it for awhile but the bike cuts out when the battery goes dead. so that tell me i have a charging problem. im not an expert with electrical or anything but, here is where i started.

new battery from advanced charged on a trickle charger. no change the battery starts off around 12.6 and slowly looses power.

next i went through and tested stuff. i tested the rectifier and if i did it correctly it should be good. i tested my stater with the ohm meter and that was reading at 1 ohm on all 3 which i dont think is bad i believe the book says .7 ohms but i hear the bikes are always a little off.

i replaced the voltage regulator with the r292 from O'rilleys it was an easy swap i used the old connector and soldered the wires to the new regulator just like in the pictures in that other thread

after replacing the regulator i tested the ac output from the 3 white wires to ground on the 200 setting for ac on my multimeter and i got about .5 volts and when i revved it it would go up to about 1.2 and that just seems a bit low to me (not entirely sure i did this right correct me if im wrong) but i pulled the generator apart the field coil and roter looked to be in good shape they where not burnt up or anything the wires were abit worn out but i taped them up so i dont think they are grounding.

i tested the green wire going to i believe the field coil with the bike running and i was getting 28 at idol and up to 40 when i revved the bike . so thats kind of where im stuck i dont have to much experience here and this bike is making me want to :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: but its going to be a blast when i finally get to :bike:

any advice would be appreciated it would be nice to finish the thread saying the bike is fixed :thumbsup:

Back