Magnetic rotors

lifesource1

lifesource1
Reaction score
I just finished a very interesting time extracting my rotor off the tapered crankshaft, not having the "special Yamaha tool" ( Which ultimately was very cordially provided to my by one of our very helpful forum members!!!!! Thank God.
Anway, as part of this ongoing saga of converting a previously non- elctric start XS to electric start, I have a critical question. During my removal of the rotor' I was rapping LIGHTLY on the rotor. Is it supposed to be magnetized? If it was (which I don't believe so, it is not now.
Any expert Input?

PS Can anyone explain how the idler gear engages the crankshaft? in putting it on, there is an internal sort of copper bushing with triangles cut into it but it just spins freely in th crank.?!?:

The rotor is not a permanent magnet, it becomes magnetized by the regulator sending current through the field coil, so no worries there. The flywheel attached to the rotor only spins freely in one direction, it has three sets of spring loaded cylinders which lock to the crank when spun the opposite direction. This allows the starter motor to turn the engine but not vice versa.

The rotor is not a permanent magnet, it becomes magnetized by the regulator sending current through the field coil, so no worries there. The flywheel attached to the rotor only spins freely in one direction, it has three sets of spring loaded cylinders which lock to the crank when spun the opposite direction. This allows the starter motor to turn the engine but not vice versa.
psuedomonkey,
Thanks for explaining how the starter clutch works. You were kind enough to provide me with the16mm hardened bolt. I got the rotor off and now I know that having the starter, 2 gears and chain, I'm still a long way from having a working starter on my son's 78 xs 400. I'm still looking for the starter clutch, chain tensioner,chain tesioner mounting assembly and assorted necessary stuff. If you've got any ideas or leads, I'm all ears.
Thanx

place an ad in the wanted section. chain tensioner mount = no such thing, its cast into the casing!

Back