Making a new dash (pics included)

Renegade

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Making a new dash? Huh?

So here's the story: 5 years ago I popped my speedometer on New Jersey's GSP. No, I'm not sure how fast I was going at the time...I wasn't looking at it. I have looked and looked for a replacement OEM...part I can't seem to find it for less than I paid for the bike. So for all this time I have been riding around using the tach to gauge my speed.

Now add in the fact that my ignition is screwed up. I need a key to turn it (a screwdriver wont do it, but after the cylinder is turned, the key will slide right out. That was a TON of fun to figure out the first time... not.

So lets recap: a busted speedometer, a jacked up ignition, and hey lets face it; there are certain things that I wish it had.

Not too long ago (after my headlight retainer broke) I switched to a dual headlight system
sany0020l.jpg

It looks cool and works great, but it presented another issue
sany0021m.jpg

See what I mean?

It works out well for me 'cause I planned on making a new cluster/dash anyways.

So today, after receiving my new Speedo in the mail (not OEM) I started to get my stuff together for the project.
sany0024i.jpg

Indicator lights from Radio Shack, Voltage meter by Sunpro, Clock from a Volvo (yes a Volvo) a cigarette lighter, a new key igntion switch, and sadly my 2.5" Tach wont be here for a week.

So its time to start the coffee and use some hot-rodding ingenuity and make a new dash. Ok, well tomorrow will be time. Its raining, getting dark, and I'm working out of a 4'x8'-ish shed. I will take pics keep this updated as I work

I bought a 120MPH speedo from XSChris and a universal mechanical 12000 RPM tach from ebay. I double checked all the specs before buying, of course. All gauges have a black face with white details. But I am currently playing with the idea of getting custom made face plates (only problem being the rear lit speedo) or possibly switching the bulbs to red lighting.

Real exciting stuff going on right now..laying out the placement of everything.
sany0025y.jpg

This involved me tracing the outer rim of everything, cutting it out, and then laying it on a folder with marks drawn to show bar risers' location(later to be the template).

So actual fabrication has had to wait a bit... Yesterday I was sick and spent the day in bed, and today my Redskins are on TV (sounds silly, but living in Eagles territory this is rare and hard to pass up). So until then I decided to make up a wiring diagram so when I get out there, I know where I'm going with all my wiring.

First thing I had to do was take apart my stock cluster and start following wires to double check against my wiring specs.
sany0029.jpg

Any guesses why my speedo didnt work?
Doing all this makes my brain hurt a little, but it will be good in the end. Plus I'm finding interesting little things. EX.: whats this little metal fuze looking thingy in the speedo housing? Something for the flasher canceling unit? hmmm...me wonders...

Sadly this whole process takes a while to do, only made slower by my assisstant
sany0030x.jpg

I will post the finished diagram once I'm done with it...

Oh yeah... HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!! hahaha

Finished wiring diagram:
scanhx.jpg

Ye it looks very simplistic, but it has everything that I need. All wires have been labeled as to their color on the bike. So when I get out there anything that has not been connected on my drawing will be connected to its original wire.

One half of the wiring is now done. Today I wired up the ignition, Voltage meter, cig lighter, and clock. I wired everything up so when I wire the new ignition in, everything will be set.

The process was tons of fun...not really. Its cold out, and a noreastern is currently on its way...so cold and rain/snow/hail is not conducive for working outside. So instead I worked inside, using the power inverter from my tattoo guns to test and power everything.
A7IxnhuCcAAu8V9.jpg

As always I tested everything first. See the power box? Really safe I know...

A7JxjWpCYAAsRBs.jpg

But its all done now. And yes I can hear you all moaning and groaning that its all the same color wire... I know; and I dont care. I know where it all is going, and that's all that matters.

Thanks bentwrench. I have to take a break from it...I forgot to make the new handlebars first so I can check for clearances... That should only take a day or so though

Back