manual petcock possible issue

NewHavenMike

1976 XS360C
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I picked up a manual petcock and noticed that when I turn it on, the fuel line will not fill up with gas. I feel like theres still air getting into the carbs possibly. Im sorting out the hanging high idle issues.....

I was thinking that the carbs could be taking in a bubbly mix of fuel causing the lean condition.

So, when I turn the fuel on, gas will slowly run down the line, its never a full steady stream. I will say that I havent filled the gas tank more than half way so far but this shouldnt be a huge issue considering I will be basically running the tank dry when Im actively riding it.

I should have no reason to "prime" the fuel system right?

While sorting the hanging high idle after revving, I have the idle mix screw out 4 turns and no big improvement. I Think I may have over tightened the carb holders and they warped... Ive been reading a bunch on this and I am still running factory size jets. Stock airboxes and I have some shorty cherry bomb mufflers. Thinking about adding more baffling to these...

I have no idea what kind of restriction the stock mufflers were like.. I assumed they were the same style as the cherry bomb type but just a lot longer??

tomorrows a fresh day so ill be out there doing the process of elimination..

I just noticed that PhotoBucket has had their recent issues and basically took every picture down they host...which would include all my pictures. So ill have to start another build thread.

My bike is finally finished to a point where I can ride it and its street legal, waiting for the registration now...

A major hurdle for me was sorting the paperwork.... It still may not work but im keeping positive. I bought the bike from a kid that probably wouldve taken it apart and end up putting it in the trash. I swear, the gas tank is what drew me in.

Does the throttle return all of the way to the idle stop screw when you let go? Try taking a .002 feeler gauge and see if it will slide between the head and the manifold flange. If the flange is warped, scour it with thinner, dry out, add Yamabond or Permatex ultra black. place a new gasket over it, and let them set up on a flat surface with a weight on top. I would set the idle mix screws to 1.5 turns out and forget about them untill you get some longer mufflers with about stock backpressure. Check out auto parts stores for a like a 1 foot mufgler pipe extensions that have a flare on one end. Making them longer will help a little.

You can post pics with this site. All of mine are so no need for a image hosting site. Just use the upload tab under this box.

At first, I was getting a stuck throttle from binding during a turn.. I have sorted those issues out. Im going to get vacuum gauges now and I need to get my timing light.

Last fall when I first got it running and took it for a ride, all I did was a bench sync on the carbs and the bike ran well. The idle dropped down like its supposed to and was stable.. Maybe Im missing an area in the carbs?

Well Im off...

Is there a screw with a spring between the carbs that is used to sync the throttle shafts? the screw or spring could be missing and one throttle may be loose from the other, not lock synched together.

Yea everything is there. I did notice a small amount of gunk around the butterfly area of the carbs. I cannot get the screws out (on butterfly) so I can clean it as well as I want, so I didnt mess with it.. I have some solvents that should take care of it though.

Back