Mikuni VM34 - Where to start?

01ps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have decided I am going to try a Mikuni VM34 on my bike. I came off a 2-stroke sled, and is jetted way rich, something like a 320 main.

It starts and runs strong, but of course, way too rich.

I am sure there are a few of you running this carb.

My setup is a single carb, pod type filters, and open exhaust, if that helps.

I am not looking for a perfect tune right off, but I'd like to get a baseline to start from.

Thanks

check your plugs and provide pics if you can. Put it on a centerstand and engage a gear, run it up to a nice high RPM and kill it. Pull and inspect your plugs. Black=rich, brown=nice, white & ashy=trouble...how easy does it start? is there a lag in translation from low revs to high, that is needle position if so.

I think you're going to want to do real plug chops on the road with load on the engine... not just having it spin on the center stand. I think the results would be different on a loaded engine vs a non loaded one.

Also, if it came off a two stroke, I think you're going to have to change all the brass to get where you want to be.

I think you're going to want to do real plug chops on the road with load on the engine... not just having it spin on the center stand. I think the results would be different on a loaded engine vs a non loaded one.

Also, if it came off a two stroke, I think you're going to have to change all the brass to get where you want to be.

This is very sound advice. Take it...

Back