missing parts, unsure what electrical system im running

FUBAR

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
when it comes to anything, electronics is my weakness and it seems ive reached that point with my build so ive come to this forum.

ive got an 81 special, and the points cover (?) was off when i bought the bike so i dont know what goes behind the cover exactly. i have something that doesnt look like points, its sorta a black semi circle magnet thing mounted on a circular plate with a couple wires coming off of it.

other notes maybe of importance are:
i have a TCI box in the stock loom,
it has a 2 piece regulator and rectifier

ill try and get up pictures, im not sure if i do infact have points or if im missing a part or what.
what are the other setups other than points on these bikes?

I don't think the '81 has points; it's electronic and requires no maintenance. Usually these types of devices are attached to a notch or small dowel on the crank or cam shaft, so they really cannot be misaligned. Originally it would have had a tamper-proof cap over the screws to remove the cover. I think xschris made a thread about this the other day.

the threaded end of my cam is broken off by the PO i just found it in a bucket of parts and pieced it together.. annyone got a cam for sale?

Back