Motor pulled, should I rebuild the engine while it's out?

MikeK

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I have an '80 xs400 with about 20k on it. I had a broken exhaust stud that needed to be removed plus wanted to repaint the frame. Aside from it being a complete bitch getting the engine out, I really only want to put it back in once and only mess up the painted frame minimally. It was running strong from what my friend said who i got it from and doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere.

Should I pull it apart and rebuild it since it's out? Also, is there an easier way to get the motor in and out of the frame? It took me a while and was a huge pain.

Mike

As for me I would probably pull the rocker cover carbs and clutch cover to check the state of the insides a bit. If there is sludge in the case I would at least flush it out. Also the mileage on the bike is a determining factor for me. A quick hone re ring and valve job could be cheap insurance.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!!

20k is not much anyways, mine has done over 50k miles (85k km) without ever needing a rebuild, and it's not leaking now either.

Damn. Ok the compression was right at 100 in both sides. For some reason I was getting a bad seal on the tester and I think they are actually a little higher.

How about a good carb clean as a minimum? I'm already not looking forward to putting that motor back in.

100 psi is low. New is around 150-160psi and low is 120psi. I would get or find a good tester just to make sure.:)

Be careful about redoing the valves. They are allegedly Stellite coated, and once you go through the Stellite, they are quite soft. That assumes they really are coated. But the factory manual claims they are, so We'll have to take their word for it.

You can return the engine to the frame several ways. The traditional way is to horse it in with the frame upright on the stand. It helps to have a strong friend or at least a good meal a few hours before. You can cover the freshly painted frame tubes with strips of corrugated cardboard taped in place to avoid nicks and scrapes, and pull them afterwards.

I redid quite a few XS650s years ago, and ended up laying the rebuilt engine on the right side on the floor, then tipping over the frame and bolting the engine in while everything was on the right hand side lying down. Then you just pick the bike up and you're done. Obviously, the tank and battery are off during this so you don't spill stuff. You don't need to get all of the engine bolts in while on the side, but enough that it won't shift. Most Yamahas have the bolts go in from the left side with the nut/lockwasher/washer on the right. Most Yamahas are set up to pull the engine from the right and reinstall it on that side as well. Put some grease on the mounting bolts where they go inside the engine castings so they won't corrode while enclosed in there.

As for overhauls: Look down the plug holes with a very bright light, look at the valve faces where they contact the seats. Looking into the intake port will show oil leakage past the stem seals. Same for ring ridge in cylinder. If I went so far as to re-ring, I'd rebore. But seeing the age of these bikes, I'd say that you should probably at least replace the valve stem rubber seals. There's a fixture that you screw into the plug hole, attach an air line from a compressor to, and that holds the valve shut while you pull the keeper and spring without pulling the head. But I think if I were going to that length, I'd at least pull the head and do it right. Then you can check it all. The age of these bikes is the problem, not the miles. There are no good 30+ year old seals in engines of any type. The proper fix is to replace them, not spray "miracle goo #14" on everything and hope for the best. The other problem is that oils have drastically improved since these bikes were new, so today wear is minimal, where years ago, engines were pretty ratty by 20-30K miles.

Good luck.

If you dont have any noise coming from the bottom end leave it alone cause the bears are difficult and near impossible to find.I would redo the top end as I agree those compression numbers are low but could be caused from either valves not sealing cause they are burned or carboned up or the bore is out of tolerance and the rings are bad.I would start with the heads first then go from there.Good luck.

Speed & Sport has bearings in stock, although the price might get you. All japanese bike's bearings are pricey. The mains are 30 some bucks, rods around 11 bucks.

Look here:
http://216.168.60.165/speedandsportinc/Index.tpl The dropdown on the left, followed by the section you're interested in.

It takes a bit to load sometimes, just wait it out.

Yamaha bearings are color coded, black, green, brown. etc. The manual explains how to decide which you need.

S&S is a good place to go if you have an older bike like the XS.

I wouldnt be too concerned about the valves. When I had mine re ground my engine re conditioner said they are some of the hardest hes ever seen. They took ages on the stone. I was doing a set of 400 DOHC ones at the time and they were much much softer.
I did some SOHC 250 ones last week and they were hard as nails also.

Thanks for the link for the bearings,thats very helpful.Im oing to take my heads off this winter and recondition them.Im not touching the bottom end though.I might order the bearings just so I have them.

Back