Motor Quits After It Is Warm.

Heritage Guy

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife has a 1982 XS400 Heritage Special. The bike was running beautifully until we were in the middle of a ride one day and the motor started to quit after the bike had warmed up. I don't believe it is the spark plugs because the odds of both going simultaneously is slim. Could it be an ignition coil? Could it be possible that a worn clutch could cause this issue? I feel the bike will require servicing of the clutch.

Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

What do the plugs look like? Are they white? If so your running too lean. The bike might be over heating. If you have non-stock air filters and exhaust that will cause it. Make sure the carbs are adjusted and clean!! Take them apart and clean all the little passages, there are threads in the forum on this. How about some pics of the bike with your setup if it is not stock.

TCI module. Fuse connections and/or wiring connectors. Faulty ignition switch. Faulty kill switch. I've had each of these cause similar symptoms.

The clutch is a separate issue.

TCI module. Fuse connections and/or wiring connectors. Faulty ignition switch. Faulty kill switch. I've had each of these cause similar symptoms.

The clutch is a separate issue.
16VGTIDave, thanks for the response. In your experience, did your similar symptoms occur after the bike had been warmed up and running for a while?

16VGTIDave, thanks for the response. In your experience, did your similar symptoms occur after the bike had been warmed up and running for a while?

Yes. TCI module initially would cause problems after a long ride. A couple hundred km. As it got worse, the distance / time running was reduced. All the other failures could happen at any time without warning, but were more likely to occur after running for a while.

16VGTIDave,

Thanks for the response. It sounds like the TCI could be the issue as your description is exactly what is occurring with the bike. I have a winter project ahead of me.

16VGTIDave,

I believe that my 1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special has the SOHC. Would the bike have a CDI module as opposed to a TCI module?

Both would have a TCI ignition. Your bike is a sohc engine if it is a heritage special.

Looks like this.

Attachments

• DSC02799.jpg
    DSC02799.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 217
Back