Motor troubles

adrian

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an issue that has had me scratching my head the last week or so. My '81 was running fine until we had a big rainstorm, during which she wasn't covered. I started it 2 days later and realized it was only running on the left cylinder. A day or two later, I started it again and it was running on both cylinders but barely, the right side was still weaker than the left. I changed the plugs out and tried testing the coils but couldn't get an accurate reading on the multimeter, so I went ahead and got another used coil to replace the right side. I also pulled the carbs off and did a thorough cleaning and check over to see if anything looked bad/wrong, after which they looked fine.

The replacement coil didn't affect the performance at all. The bike will run at half choke but extremely low, like 400 RPMs. I rented a compression tester the other day and both cylinders checked out at L: 90 R: 95. I know these numbers seem low but this bike will push 90 MPH in it's present condition. I know it's got to be something with the spark on the right cylinder. I pulled the plugs to do the compression test and the left showed the littlest bit of carbon while the right side looked brand new, like it had never fired. I'm hoping the TCI didn't get fried somehow but I'm running out of gremlins to chase down. Any help/ideas would be much appreciated!

Back