Mounting a Sportster tank

MitchMotors

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folk,
I've been wondering if you could hook me up with some ideas of how to put a Sportster tank on the XS without major mods to the frame.
Basically, this is how I want the tank to sit on the frame, I like the Frisco look to it.
7538391yvv.jpg

I could weld some plates to the front and reuse the original tank mounts, but how should I fix the tank in the back?
Also, there are at least two regular styles of how a Sportster tank is supposed to be mounted:
13497d1227460970-harley-davidson-sportster-gas-fuel-tank-custom-paint-demon_bottom.jpg

and
5229295111_57d0ffb0d9.jpg

while the lower picture shows how mine looks like but if necessary, I'd get myself another tank.
Any hints or tricks?
I can't just drill the frame and put some bolts through it due to our laws here in Germany, but I might weld some small tabs to the frame if it's not too obvious.

I picked up a peanut tank too. My only concern is the petcock, I think I'm going to get it moved more onwards to clear the frame but that's not something I can do myself.

the easy way to mount a Sportster tank is to first buy a Sportster... :D

without heavy modification to the bottom of the tank (just about any thing other than stock) due to the xs triple tube top frame there is no easy way, so this will sharpen up your metal working skills

That said, where there's a will, there's a way.

In the photo you posted, it looks like the tank is sitting on top of the frame. If that's the look you want, then you should be able to build a bracket that mounts to the existing (or possibly new if the existing interfere) mounts, and then attaches to the frame.

I'd build a cardboard version of the bottom of the tank, and then fool around with it to see what you can build (cardboard will bend, and can be modified as needed, and won't scratch your frame if you try to force it in somewhere.)

I welded captive nuts on the front and used bobbins to mount the front.

made a tab and welded that and used a bigger bobbin up to the back of the tank tab.

its in my blog, but I'm using a handmade tank to my specs.

Okay so tell me if I'm crazy or not....

I'm going to cut the petcock out in a rectangular shape on the bottom of the tank and flip it so it sits more outboard from the frame. I'm okish with a MIG, but I plan to put a layer of jb weld to stop any leaks through my janky welds.

Okay so tell me if I'm crazy or not....

I'm going to cut the petcock out in a rectangular shape on the bottom of the tank and flip it so it sits more outboard from the frame. I'm okish with a MIG, but I plan to put a layer of jb weld to stop any leaks through my janky welds.

I'd line the tank with POR15 instead

are you allowed to drill the frame and weld in threaded bungs into the frame?that would be the way most shops mount frisco tanks here in the states

Back