Moving the Start Switch???

brownv1

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been a while but got a question for those electric guru's out there. Did some carb work and the bike is running great but I only have kick start. It takes too long to get it kicked over so I want to get the starter working but the button was missing when I bought the bike. I want to move the starter button/switch to under the seat but don't know how to wire it. I got three wires goin' in the housing, two white/red and one blue. White/red for run/no run switch makes since. Where I'm lost is only one(blue) for the start button? Guess this is where my knowledge ends I thought for a swtich/button to work you had to have a lead and ground? Has someone done this switch mod? I know it cant be hard just don't know what switch to buy since everything I find has a lead and ground wire.

Thanks for any help.

the starter switch is a push to make switch/button. All it does is activate the starter solenoid to make a heavy duty contact with the starter motor.

chase the wiring diagram from the solenoid to the switch

I get that it tells the solenoid to fire the starter. My question is really if I move the button do I only need to pull the blue wire and hook it up to a same type button or is there a grounding going on at the switch? Like I said I'm not good at electical but if there is only one wire how does it send/recieve current to/from the solenoid.

blue/white to switch and is grounded via black wire

red/white feeds the ignition and the solenoid feed via ignition switch

Back