mr hamburger & his '83 maxim

hamburger

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm from Toronto and I'm a professional paramedic. My other interests include beer, whiskey, tattoos, fish/aquariums, travel, food, comics, hockey & fitness/athletics.

I've just entered the world of motorcycles and this is my first bike. It may have been on here before me, I'm not sure. I picked it up a couple weeks ago and it seems to run well. starts easily, shifts easily, lights all work. I'm gonna wait another month or so to plate and insure it so I can get to the next step in my license and get a significant drop in my insurance rate.

I have an interest in modifying this bike but as I mentioned this is my entry point to motorcycles and my knowledge base on the subject is minimal. Also, I live in an apartment building and park in an underground garage. I certainly don't mind taking things apart or working down there but I'm not going to be welding or fabricating anything down there (not that I have any experience with that anyways (but I'd like to learn :D)). I plan on making that jump when I have a garage of my own.

I think I would like to get a cafe look and feel out of this bike but i'm not entirely sure where to start. I plan on doing plenty more reading and researching but I would certainly welcome any input and suggestions.

see you around

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 321
That is a nice, clean ride. I honestly think it looks great as is. I'd ride it for a while and feel it out before making any modifications. Start with the basic maintenance and checks. Download a service manual from the sticky.

Working on these bikes does not require a lot of tools. A metric socket set, torque wrench (I use a cheap beam type), some allen wrenches, and some box wrenches will get most jobs done.

There are no bolt-on cafe seats; keep that in mind. Any aftermarket/custom seat will likely be a lot less comfortable than the stock one.

Intake/exhaust mods tend to produce a lot more noise, but marginal performance increases and probably only at high rpms because the engine is fairly small. You'll also have to deal with tuning/jetting the bike should it come to this.

I customized mine a lot because it was in rough shape when I got it and the aftermarket stuff is much cheaper than oem.

Whatever you decide to do good luck and welcome aboard!

welcome to the forum.

ride it first like Bc says and get a feel for it what you want to do and be realistic in time and money.

Hi Mr. H., and welcome to the Forum.
That sure is a nice looking bike - hard to imagine what could make it look better. Maybe a red tank and fenders ..... :wink2:
You will certainly enjoy yourself if you take the advice above and ride it for a while to get a feel for it. You may really like it and decide that it is more fun to have a perfect stock bike which you can ride every day. If we have a repeat of last year, the bike will only be in "winter" storage for 3 months.
Crunch the numbers first to see if the cost of modifying it couldn't buy you a bike that needs a total re-hab. Then you'd have 2 bikes and one would always be running.

Back