My 78 xs400 Cafe Racer

Garlic_Sauce

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I introduced myself in a previous post and have been lurking in the background gathering info from this site. I have a build thread on another site but I wanted to share my nearly completed (yeah right) 78 xs400 Cafe Racer with you guys. Great site BTW, lots of priceless info to be had here. Here she is, still need to decide on paint and a few other little things like clocks etc.

When I first got it:
photo-38.jpg

Now:
057df362.jpg

List of mods, that I can remember:
Clip-ons
Grips
Shorty mufflers
Re-jetted carbs
Re-painted frame, levers, perches, triple tree, headlight bucket
battery, wiring and components tucked under tail
Fiberglass tail
Short stalk turn signals
LED taillight
xs650 coils, new performance plug wires and NGK caps
Tiny sealed battery
Uni pods

Thanks for the welcome guys, What's up Steeze? I needed a tail big enough to fit everything under it and fit the frame. At first I thought it looked big but it really grew on me quickly and I love it now. It's also WHITE, when it's panted to match the tank I think it will blend in better.

Chopped down the tail a bit, 3/4" off the entire bottom of the tail and another inch off the front. I think it looks way better, Also got some red paint for the tank/tail. Here's a pic after the chop:
985de734.jpg

now all you need to is raise the rear of yor tank to have the seat and tank line up and it will be the BEE's KNEE's

Whats your review of those shorty mufflers?
I like them, they're loud enough but not obnoxious and I really like the tone. I will say this though, the packing inside them is trash.The original packing was almost all gone within 50 miles. Great little pipes for the price though.

now all you need to is raise the rear of yor tank to have the seat and tank line up and it will be the BEE's KNEE's
I agree, I mentioned that on another forum where I have posted the complete build thread. I'm going to add another rubber spacer under the tank tab to raise it up in the back.

I have since painted the tail red, and the tank is next once I finish prepping it. I made a PS pic of how what I want for decals:
redxsblocks-1.jpg

Whats your review of those shorty mufflers?

I also have these same mufflers. I agree that the original packing is skimpy and looks more like ceiling fiberglass. I immediately repacked mine with moose racing stuff I found at a local shop. The mufflers sound pretty good; they're loud, but easily pass inspection here in NH. They are about as loud as a sport bike with an aftermarket pipe, but obviously they sound very different.

instead of moving the tank, you could put a matt black part on the "plimsol line" of the tank which in effect will make the tank look smaller and let the eye follow the seat line.

I don't mind the cowl but it does seem a little large to me. Overall I love the bike though! At some point in my life I want to build one. I will say It would look really cool with the top of that cowl flattened a little to match the semi squared look of the tank! I wish My xs had that tank style. But I love it anyway :D

Threw some polished aluminum dirt bars and Sigma bicycle computer on the bike, so much fun to ride this thing.

21e2eef7.jpg

ec84a3f0.jpg

97339ac2.jpg

f60ed74c.jpg

Haha I never saw it as a spider web until now, thanks... I've slid the headlight down a few inches since those pics, looked off.
The computer does odometer, time and I think trip time. Yes I used 2 rare earth magnets for the sensor.

Back