My '81 Resto build

Robsteeler66

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Alrighty... I've decided to start a thread for my little resto/mod. I'm keeping things pretty stock looking except for the seat and maybe a few little touches. I want it to be pretty much OEM+, I guess I could say. Today was make the electrics work day...strip down the seat day.

Pics to follow as soon as I get them uploaded!:)

Last edited:
First thing was to try to get the electrics working. I bought a 4 blade fuse panel online. I clipped off the old terminals and reattached them one at a time on the new panel.
Before this I had no signals, no headlamp, no horn, and no idiot lamps. (oil pressure, neutral, bright indicator)

with a little blade fuse magic... Hey Presto! Everything now works!:D

I thought about that, but I don't want the cafe look. I'm going for more of a Triumph Scrambler type seat, complete with white piping.

Really cool! We have pretty much the same motorcycle, same model and color!

I will eventually be doing something similar but my first priority is to get it running perfectly first and it might take a little before im done!

Can't wait to see what your going to do next, im a big fan of the OEM+ look! Keeping it simple but adding a little flair and style!

Hotter than the seventh level of hell yesterday. It's ONLY 90 degrees(32 for you Celsius types) today, so maybe I can tidy up a few bits on the bike. This is after I fix my pool ladder. :D

I have seen many of metal seat pans rust out beyond repair.Im not the best of fan of plastic parts either but in the case of the seat pan all of them should have been made the way that one is.

Not a big fan of plastic either but anything thats gunna spend a part of its life in water should have plastic parts. Took HVAC manufactures 40 years to figure this out and now they're finally using plastic bases for condensers and drainpans.

You had to bring up air con condensers didnt yaLOL.Reminds me of when I owned my home and I had to replace mine along with furnace.Cost me around $2500 in 1993ish.I removed it and it literaly fell apart soaking me and cause it had been leaking all the wood in closet it was in had rotted including the floor.Thank Goodness for home owners insurance.

I replaced my whole hvac system 10 years ago. Well I didn't a company did. Some things are not DIY! Mine was slightly rusted, not too badly. New system was highly efficient at the time. Is 14 SEER still the best?

Back