my bike build

xadmp

O's and Boh's
Reaction score
So im gonna try this bike build thread and see how it goes. ill attach pictures. Its gonna be a little while til I understand the wiring part of it. Thats kinda of a mess. Tomorrow I'm going to get the oil drained and freshen that up along with the tank. May throw on the speedo if i figure the wiring out. Hope you guys dont mind the stupid questions i may have. Im new to all this so bare with me. Let me know what you guys think so far.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 199
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 177
Somebody started it in the right direction. I like how clean the bars are leave the speedo off if u don't need it. How's it run?

So basically when i got this thing it had huge ugly ape hangers on it basically an ugly handlebar setup. I love this look on other bikes so i decided to try it out and i love it. I have a mini speedo i wanna hide right over top of the bars but behind the headlight but i have to figure out the wiring. It ran and started up on barely 2-3 kicks. i have the electric starter hanging but again need to figure that wiring out. The only issue i have right now is the exhaust. He put 2 car exhaust tips on this thing and it just raddddddddless like know ones business but i want to either get a new set which ive looked at the ya mama kit at pandemonium choppers and talked to the guy there who said he was going to start to hook up xs400's. either that or just wrap them. I want to wrap them eventually anyway just a matter of what i want to do with them. Other than that its just day by day getting this fella up and running.

I think the seat could use some improvement.Make a tail end frame and cafe style seat will dramaticaly help the appreance and make more comfortable to sit on.I also hope that the gas tank will be getting a different color scheme.The exhaust looks great.

the seat is gonna be the last thing i do i plan on doing some type of banana seat-ish..but i need to re weld a whole knew seat pan and tail loop possibly...brown i do like that idea.....

so I changed the oil and put gas in this morning. Charged my new battery all night on a trickle charger. I have brand new spark plugs. when i tried to kick start it i got absolutely nothing. Do all the wires need to be cut off if im not hooking the tail lights and speedo up yet? any ideas on how to get it to turn over?

also, would the kill switch not being wired to anything have anything to do with this possibly?

so i got the carbs off and ran into a problem. the po painted/sprayed down the whole engine with this black crap that coated everything and anything. I cant get some of the screws out without them stripping. i stripped the first one and then went to good ol wd40. Stripped the second and then went to some remedies like rubber bands and the hammer trick. even tried pliers. threw some more wd40 and waited 10 mins. Stripped the 3rd one. the 3 i got off i put in carb spray for a few mins and the paint wiped right off so i threw some carb spray carefully on and waited a few mins. stripped the 4th one.:doh: Need some ideas on how to get these dudes off!

Attachments

• IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1855.jpg
    IMG_1855.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 127
Spray pb blast on top and on the underside of the screws and let soak for 15mins to get a nice penetration and slot those screws and get a long handle flat head and try again. Get the rest off and replace the screws with socket caps instead. So much easier to take apart for future cleanings and stuff.

i ended up getting them. cleaned everything out. Question about the diaphragm..when i put it back in do i need to grease or oil it? any last min ideas on the reassembly that helps the carbs out?

got the carbs back on and have a quick question before i flood the carbs. Do i just connect the fuel line and let the fuel flood into the carbs until it stops?

I wanted to upload this video so you guys can hear whats going on. Give me some ideas to check out what you guys think.

Since this apparent blizzard is supposed to hit tomorrow I'm going ot put the bike away til we get a nice day. I plan on replacing the clutch cable cuz im hurting my hand dealing with the old one. It won't pull right and its disgustingly worn down. Until then let me know what you guys think.

That vacuum hose is supposed to be connected to your fuel petcock - assuming it is stock. Otherwise, remove the hose and install a cap.

Definitely replace your clutch cable, and also inspect the clutch lever for wear. The pivot tends to wear out quickly when the cable is hard to move.

Got to working on my bike since the weather was a little warmer. Issues #1- Wiring in the headlight looked like complete crap so i had to peel back the harness and re wire everything (i posted a picture). Issue #2- the other picture i added-is this supposed to be connected to each other? I cant tell if it was cut off or if its supposed to be like this. If so maybe thats the reason my bike wont stay on. Other than that I'm figuring out all the wiring and connected a bunch of stuff and moding all the switches to different places. It's getting there!

Attachments

• IMG_1878.jpg
    IMG_1878.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 95
Quick question for the carb people. I am using the post that someone posted ( http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Motorcycle_Carburetor_Jetting__W7C240.cfm ) and realize that i do need to get a new main and pilot jet. I'm going to bump up my main to 150 and my pilot to 45 (using two pods and open headers). Do i need to mess with the starter jet? Is this a good start to get my bike in running form? Most of my plugs are running rich. good start?

Back