My experiences with carb tuning my XS400 bobber

01ps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So, after a few weeks of fiddling, I finally think I have the bike running as well as I can get it. Of course, that is a moving target, as you know.

Hopefully some of this information will help you.

I have open exhaust and pod filters.

First, I ordered gaskets, a variety of jets, float needles from Sirius Consolidated in Ontario. Chris was very helpful, as he own an XS400 himself. He put together a kit for me according to my setup.

I ended up with 160 mains, as the 150's I ordered were still lean. That surprised me, as 135 was stock. The jet needle is set all the way lean. I suppose a 155 would have been ideal but I made the 160's by drilling out some 145's using a #51 drill bit, and there was nothing in between.

The pilot is one step bigger, a 45.

The float measurement in the book is whack, so I just adjusted them to the point I figured was best. My needles must be longer or something.

I synced the carbs by eye as the manual says you can, but I still wasn't happy with that. I built a manometer with a yard stick, nylon ties and clear tubing filled with ATF. I couldn't believe how far they were out of sync. When I first started the bike it nearly sucked ATF into the right cylinder. I shut it off, cranked the screw a couple of times, and the left nearly sucked up fluid. Obviously a sensitive procedure. I finally got it to a point where I could move fast enough to make an adjustment while runnning, and with very slight adjustments, I got them even, and you could hear the difference right away.

If you have not done it yet, I highly suggest you try syncing. It actually almost solved one of my last problems, a dead spot at high rpm near redline. It is still there, but much better.

All in all the bike has never idled better, and will trundle along at 50kph in 4th gear no problem and still pull without loading up the cylinders. It goes along at highway speed much less frantically than before. It pulls really well through midrange.

Now what am I going to do?

Thanks a ton for this post man! I'll be doing the same exact thing to mine in the next few weeks and this is a great read for me. I'm actually online tonight to order some pod filters, where did you end up buying yours? I was thinking I would just go to mikes xs, but I'm still doin' some looking on the internet.

Thanks a ton for this post man! I'll be doing the same exact thing to mine in the next few weeks and this is a great read for me. I'm actually online tonight to order some pod filters, where did you end up buying yours? I was thinking I would just go to mikes xs, but I'm still doin' some looking on the internet.
Hope it helps. The filters I got are stamped with XS on the crome, tapered ovals. I just bought them from the local dealer. I had Emgo pods last year, and while I didn't know the difference at the time, when I got the new ones I noticed that the rubber grommet had a lip that actually 1/2 blocked most of the ports on the intake side of the carb. Just make sure whichever you buy, it is a fully open pod.

Man, this could be a big help, as I'm having carb trouble right now on my build. I don't think it is getting enough fuel. Where did you source your float needles? I got the fleabay kit, and they do seem too long. Right now, my bike only starts if I cover the carb intake, as it can't take the air. I too have open exhaust and pods. What did you end up with for float height? Any help will be appreciated. I'm about to throw this thing out for the trash, but I got it looking so good!

Man, this could be a big help, as I'm having carb trouble right now on my build. I don't think it is getting enough fuel. Where did you source your float needles? I got the fleabay kit, and they do seem too long. Right now, my bike only starts if I cover the carb intake, as it can't take the air. I too have open exhaust and pods. What did you end up with for float height? Any help will be appreciated. I'm about to throw this thing out for the trash, but I got it looking so good!
I got the needles at sirius consolidated in ontario. The float height in the book said 27.3mm but mine would not get anywhere near that, so I set them low enogh to make sure they close fully when the bowl is pretty full. Probably 22ish.

As for the starting issues, if you have not already done so clean the carbs to the max. Take everything apart, pass a tiny wire through each jet hole, blow every passage out with compressed air. Push the jet needle out and make sure it is really clean. Soaking them is not enough.

Are the rubber plugs still in the pilot jet tube?

Check the "choke" is actually opening the ports in the carb.

Check to make sure your diaphrams are not leaking. And your girls. ;)

Make sure the mixture screw orings are not leaking or missing, and if ok, turn the jets out 3 or more turns to see if it helps.

Also, you need lots of voltage to start this bike, so make sure you have a full battery, even if you are kicking it.

I got the needles at sirius consolidated in ontario. The float height in the book said 27.3mm but mine would not get anywhere near that, so I set them low enogh to make sure they close fully when the bowl is pretty full. Probably 22ish....

Good to know- how did you measure float height?

Oh, and here's my manometer:

full

I cleaned the piss out of them again yesterday. Rubber plugs? No idea. I better go to the bandit and see if I'm missing parts. The choke is working. Funny thing. It starts easier with the shitty filters on. I'm guessing as it's clogging up that air passage with the rubber boot. Diaphragms are good. I had myself fixed! Like a big kick in the nuts, it was. I don't think the O-rings are there. Oops! The new battery is at full tilt. She's a kicker only. I resisted the tiny battery, as I was nervous. Thanks for the help! If you fixed it, I'll owe you. (My sanity for starters)

I cleaned the piss out of them again yesterday. Rubber plugs? No idea. I better go to the bandit and see if I'm missing parts. The choke is working. Funny thing. It starts easier with the shitty filters on. I'm guessing as it's clogging up that air passage with the rubber boot. Diaphragms are good. I had myself fixed! Like a big kick in the nuts, it was. I don't think the O-rings are there. Oops! The new battery is at full tilt. She's a kicker only. I resisted the tiny battery, as I was nervous. Thanks for the help! If you fixed it, I'll owe you. (My sanity for starters)
I don't know about all of them but as far as I know the BS34 has a cap on the end of the pilot tube and scavenges fuel out of a hole in the main tube. Mine have a rubber plug in the end of the pilot tube. Actually, the plugs were frigged in mine so I cut a short piece of 1/4" fuel line and split it on one side to cap off the pilot tube until I found the proper plugs. The bowl will keep the hose in place.

And if there are no orings in the screws, you will be major lean. Top to bottom, there should be a needle, spring, tiny washer, then an o-ring.

There are no rubber "O" rings on my mixture screws either and mine were set up by a shop.

Words eaten. There are rubber O rings in there. Chances are if you can't find them they're stuck down in the hole. Mine were.

Back