My first bike...

1lowdiesel

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Well i figured it was about time to start a different project and i've never had a bike so. Picked this up on Saturday as a complete bike and have it to where it's at now as of yesterday. Going a little different on this, not sure if it's considered Bobber or Chopper or what but i really don't care i'm just going for functional and different.

e062fca9.jpg

deeae846.jpg

e220c347.jpg

a4a18842.jpg

c374871b.jpg

34c637f7.jpg

2e300fa5.jpg

e66b0503.jpg

274505b3.jpg

Welcome to the Forum 1lowdiesel. You will find lots of help here - maybe not so much from stock bike riders like me - but certainly from all the builders.

The only wisdom I can offer? The diesel can go low (in the crankcase) but not high (in the tank). :wink2:

Last edited:
got some stuff done on webnesday and thursday. Wraped my seat pan by recycling parts from the old seat. Also got the rest of the tail section welded and braced, cleaned up some wiring and made a little fuse block so i could get rid of the glass fuses. Also found out why the starter wasn't working, as you can see from the pics it's a little wet.

3d599ec2.jpg

689619a3.jpg

f1767da5.jpg

854a3b69.jpg

008678ce.jpg

521a94e5.jpg

37e36f2f.jpg

9b7eabb7.jpg

c84f41c1.jpg

5366c45c.jpg

Welp nothing like some blood sweat and tears shed on a project. Was in the garage for 5 min and wound up with this gem. Left a piece of sheet metal in a bad spot and just brushed by it. Wound up with 11 stitches. Worst part is once i got home from the hospital i put the starter back together and it still didn't wanna work.

340c7b29.jpg

bf320dae.jpg

3b0fc558.jpg

It's some sort of industrial roller chain I found at a steel yard years ago. I've been waiting on a chance to use it and finally found one. Each of the small links is about 3" long and the large ones are are about 5 1/2". I'm also using the large chain to build a front axle for my 31 chevy sedan.

Very cool build. I recall a while ago someone on here had built their bike with a welded chain for the handlebars. At that point I was half wondering what it would be like to have a whole frame (or most of it) made from a welded chain too. Looks like my question has been answered.
Your bike has some very interesting lines and I'm excited to see how they all flow together. Great job, Mr. Diesel!

Got my new starter today and hooked that back up so it does crank now. Waiting on more parts Monday so I can get it started. Ran out of has for the welder so fab stuff is on hold till I can get it filled. Also painted some stuff just to get a feel for a look. also mocked up some blinkers.

b7f7afe0.jpg

20a81abf.jpg

cc887471.jpg

22ed50f7.jpg

b369390f.jpg

a5d05d69.jpg

b9d09989.jpg

Got my parts today. New plugs, carb holders, pod filters and a few other things. Got some gas for the welder so I mocked up the exhaust and got the bike running for the first time.

db2b8bdd.jpg

7fa9def1.jpg

66650335.jpg

Last edited:
Got the exhaust done, carbs cleaned, new battery cause I blew up the other one by accident. Took it out on the road for the first time. This is the first time I've driven a motorcycle but it was a breeze for the most part. It's super low so turning is tricky till I cut the kickstand mounts off. Found a few issues though, still having carb issues I believe cause it will now again only start on full choke, headlight is flickering and shutting off and it def needs a clutch. All in all though it was awesome, it's super comfortable and I can't wait to take it out and cruise it around.

810263c0.jpg

a4082925.jpg

5c1b0465.jpg

b177cc3c.jpg

Well Got a bunch done this morning. Kickstand finished complete with spring, stopped by a local bike shop and scored some billet mirrors, put front blinkers in, adjusted the clutch, installed a rear running light on a relay that shuts it off and turns the brake on when activated and painted the rear shocks. Also got my new rear tire in. Waiting on the front, clutch kit and jet kit which should be here Wednesday.

36d115a5.jpg

c36b6eeb.jpg

e8876fe4.jpg

08e09939.jpg

f029a87a.jpg

68514d54.jpg

2ccdd5f7.jpg

921384e3.jpg

cbdbe514.jpg

07bcf145.jpg

UPdate... New fender on. Used some smaller chain i found for the fender struts. Everything is attached to the swingarm so it all floats.

9aa22bb0.jpg

04209630.jpg

e2a13aff.jpg

1def9382.jpg

Into the Ac for a rewire. I knew that spare bedroom would come in handy.

Also found a cool before and after

0f00a1cc.jpg

f029a87a.jpg

Attachments

• photo (29).jpg
    photo (29).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 167
Thanks!

Got some parts in today so i can get my charging system going again. Also raided our electrical goodies here at work so i've got all my relays, wires, heat shrink, connector and fuse box. Thankfully it's hot as hell out today so i'll get to bang out some work in the AC on the bike.

Also ordered a new front braided brake line, new brake/clutch controls, do it yourself brake and clutch cables, new throttle, new carb boots to replace the ones i robbed off it for my other bike, headlight conversion kit, HID's and a few other odds and ends.

new controls. Gonna get rid of that tall resi and do a clear tube drilled and tapped with a fitting so i can fill it.
!B2GkYeg!Wk~$(KGrHqR,!iwE)r9sUw5qBMhG+-NEuw~~_1.JPG

Also traded some toys for 2 bikes. One that i can cruise while i fix this bike and another that will be a longer project.

b27458b9.jpg

project... 82 Virago XV920J w/ 2600 miles.

cea9e2d1.jpg

8d25e7dc.jpg

8b7f6d79.jpg

Last edited:
Back