My first ride...and a little nervous

Iggster

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Finally got the bike running and am preparing to ride it today and I must confess I oddly find myself a little nervous. It has been 20+ years since I last rode and hoping all goes well. I remember the basics, the feeling of the bike beneath you etc. Just have the doubts in my mind, like hope i remember how to brake properly, turn a corner right, don't tip it etc. Can any of you remember your first ride? Is there anyone on here who just started riding? What pointers do you all have?
I figure once I get going going it will be just like old times but man...never thought this nervousness would be there. I leave for work soon and thankfully it is only a few minutes away as that is when I plan on riding is to work. Wish me luck and will post later how it went.

You're going to get more and more nervous until you finally sit on it. Then it will instantly disappear and you'll just focus at the task at hand. Take things slow, restrain, and retrain yourself.

I still get nervous randomly when thinking about a ride. The second I sit on her, it goes away.

I went about 20 years between bikes and just got back into it about 2 years ago. What surprised me the most was that even though my last bike was a much bigger V45 Magna how heavy even a 250 felt at first when I test rode one. I got over that real quick after about 5 minutes on the XS400.

Whether or not your first ride should have been going to work where you had a time deadline is something maybe you should have asked yourself. Just take your time, try not to get yourself into a situation where you may have to make a sudden move, remember things like shoulder checks, and follow rather than drive with the traffic for the first while. By the time you get to work you will probably want to take it around the block one more time before you park it for the day.

I would not be too worried about these first few days because you will probably tend to be cautious. It will be after a few rides when you get real confident again and complacency starts to creep in that you could get yourself into trouble. I trained many professional drivers and there is a time period where once new drivers become real comfortable the accident rate spikes. :yikes:

Stay safe and let us know how you did.

Thanks all. Fortunately work is only a 5 minute ride away. Took all the back town roads to avoid mainstreest traffic. It was a blast. The bike drove beautifully and the only hiccups were my lack of experience on the bike. Got here safe and sound and really looking forward to the ride home. What a wonderful bike these are!

Back