mystery front axle shaft

theDQG

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First timer in this forum asking for some help.

Please see photo attached- the upper axle shaft in the picture is from a xs650, is the lower one in the picture from a xs400? Dimensions are 7/16" in dia (14mm) and 8 1/2" wide (216 mm).

Thanks in advance.

shaft.JPG

In my pic bottom one is for a disc mag wheel and the top is for a drum spoke wheel. Also 15mm thickness.

DSC03279.JPG

In my pic bottom one is for a disc mag wheel and the top is for a drum spoke wheel. Also 15mm thickness.

Thanks, I guess the diameter is right for an xs400, but why is mine only 8 1/2" (more like 8 9/16") where yours is wider than 9"?

I should clarify that my axle shaft came with a front brake drum, so it's definitely early '70's, or earlier- did the axle length change when Yamaha stopped using the brake drum?

The sohc xs400 used drums right up till 82. You stated yours is 14mm thick when the xs400 used a 15mm axle. Post a pic of the wheel yours came from. Drum and mag front wheel axles use different lengths.

Yamaha used that type of drum break from the 60's till the 80's. That rim is not from a xs400. So that axle don't fit you bike is your question.

Yamaha used that type of drum break from the 60's till the 80's. That rim is not from a xs400. So that axle don't fit you bike is your question.

That drum brake is laced to an akron rim and is going to be mounted on my xs650 project. What I want to do is make sure the drum is really from an xs400 then I'll get xs400 forks and triple tree clamps and use that.

Not sure using a 33mm fork and brake setup from a xs400 will work on a much heavier bike as the xs650 or be safe. But that's up to you. Hard to tell for sure what it's off of, but I do know the xs400 uses a 15mm axle. Another thing to measure is the gap for the fork brake stay. The xs400 uses a 17mm gap.

DSC03281.JPG

Not sure using a 33mm fork and brake setup from a xs400 will work on a much heavier bike as the xs650 or be safe. But that's up to you. Hard to tell for sure what it's off of, but I do know the xs400 uses a 15mm axle. Another thing to measure is the gap for the fork brake stay. The xs400 uses a 17mm gap.

View attachment 30505

I finally found a MM ruler and measured what you told me to measure, and the axle is indeed 15mm and the gap is also 17mm so it's in fact a xs400 brake drum. Thanks for helping out.

Yes, I'm aware I'm putting it on a bigger and heavier bike, but it's a very stripped down cafe racer, so that should hopefully balance things out.

Again, thank you.

Got xs400 forks and TT clamps on the way to me. Could someone point me to where I could find a blowup diagram of the front end (brake drum) to make sure everything is accounted for?

Back