nearly had a heart attack today

drewpy

Excess twin
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Cruising on the Motorway around 60mph and enjoying the rare bit of sunshine.
I glanced down at the oil gauge and it was reading 60 psi, great, no problem.

5 miles later its 45 psi, MM oil getting hot maybe

5 miles, Oh its 20 psi

off at the next junction

its on zero, but no knocking or anything, strange. Checked oil level and the oil was very hot but oil in there and no leaks so it must be the gauge.

rode to my destination (bike show) and parked it. No oil loss over the time it was standing and checked oil level, looks ok!

20 psi on start up and then it basically is zero most of the way.

I think I'll get a new gauge as I had no seizing or other indications! Its true what they say about getting an oil pressure gauge, its does make you worry :D

lol, I don't know how your gauge works but I had an old s10 do the same thing. Because it the sensor would start to go 'fucky' when hot. Was always fun lol.

Although I had a dakota do the same thing a few years later and then the engine gernaded... so..

Never had a oem switch go bad:laugh: Maybe sometimes stock is not so bad:D Or maybe it needs the italian treatment at WOT.

Oil pressure? We dont need no stinkin oil pressure!
Just kiddin Drewp!...Knowing you, you were probably thinking (other than the cost,) "Cool!... I get to rebuild this again?...Yeah!!.... Yippeee!

brakes are great,especially in the rain where the OEM rear didn't work.

As a precaution I'm going to clean the gauze filter under the engine, renew the oil filter and see if the pump is screwed tight in the engine.

The gauge dial is not suspended in fluid like some of the more expensive gauges so I'm guessing with all that engine vibration, it just grenaded.

Talking about vibrations, I had the glass fly right out of my mirror on my crap tracker at 70mph on a two lane the other day:doh: Not fun at all! It was one of those cheap emgo's:laugh: Spent some good money to buy a set of billet mirrors:thumbsup:

well I was ill for the last few days and we have had a break in the weather too.

Managed to change the oil and clean the gauze filter under the engine.

it was full of this fibrous stuff and looks like straw!!! :wtf:

I can only assume was something from the oil filter. I can't remember if I used a Yamaha or OEM one. anyway I installed a Yamaha one

the engine was bought years ago and maybe it was floating around inside till I disturbed it?

anyway the oil gauge still doesn't work :doh:

Attachments

• IMAG0668.jpg
    IMAG0668.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 111
You should invent a small hole that pisses in a glass... and hight of piss is pressure

You could make millions... I might sue you tho because of date marked on this thread.

50-50 will do.

By gauzy filter you mean the metal mesh filter right? It's the access cover with 6 8mm bolts right at the bottom centre of the motor

I just cleaned mine out for the first time a few days ago when I changed the oil. Make sure you have a new gasket on hand because I didn't and now it's leaking. I'm just gonna goop it on for now

wow! what is that stuff? Did some of it get slurped threw the mesh?...and where is this gauzy filter? should I clean mine next filter/oil service?

should clean it after a rebuild as you'l bee suprised how much stuff gets dislodged, especially goop!

go careful on tightening those small bolts, they are only 4.5 - 6 ft lbs torque.

I made my own gasket for that as its a simple design. If your stuck you can use a cornflake packet.

the stuff was fibrous, I'm thinking oil filter material, but there was a couple of pieces of straw in there too!

there was 2 x 2cm pieces of straw in there. the engine came from a breaker in Shropshire, so well could have :shrug:

I did clean it all out before it first started!
I've heard of putting sawdust in a manual transmission to smooth out the shifting while a prospective buyer takes a car for a test drive - but straw?

Back