Need a new petcock

nitrofish1

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi, the petcock I am currently running on my 1981 XS400 Special only works in two positions, off and reserve, and because of this reserve only option, I am having starting issues due to trying to start the bike on water in the bottom of the fuel tank....

So I was looking at new petcocks, alot of the new Yamaha ones I see for sale look similar, as with that tank flange I cannot use a universal petcock. The different types I see available are for the various years of the XS650, also on Amazon I can order one made for either a dirtbike or an ATV, but the flange size remains the same, the only difference is that the pickup tubes look larger, however my float bowls would stop that from being an issue (that is their job isnt it?).

So just wondering if anyone had any experience will using a petcock from a different model Yamaha on their XS400, because so far all I find for the later years of the XS400 is a rebuild kit and if I can just get a new one for equal price, why not.

Also as an added note, I can find petcocks built specifically for older Yamaha models through the early 80s but those are for the RD series, not sure if they would be interchangeable.

Here is mine. The only thing is the line that comes out of it is a bit smaller than the one on the carb. So I use two different size hose. The reserve setting looks like it wont work because the tank is in the way but the lever don't need to be vertical to have gas flow out on that setting.

Attachments

• DSC02373.jpg
    DSC02373.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 254
Back