Need advice on not pinching the INNER TUBE!

cthor

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm mounting my tires for the first time. Everything is going well. I have tire irons that make the job so much easier but I've pinched two tubes per tire already! Thats $50 down the drain! You guys have any advice on how not to pinch them? Do you guys think inflating the tubes half way would help? I've been installing the tires with flat tubes and the stem screwed in half way...Any advice would be great! Thanks

OK, OK, so I am dating myself, but back in the olden days when I worked in a gas station after school I was taught to always put a little air in a tube before installing a tire. I still do that to this day on tractors, garden equipment, bicycles, etc. Now I have never changed a motorcycle tire but I know I would automatically go about it by putting one side of the tire on the rim, then putting in the tube partially inflated, then installing the other side of the tire.

That's my take on it however there's gotta be people on this forum are experts at this operation that can correct me if I am wrong.

I was down that road too. I pinched 2 tubes before I bought motorcycle specific tire irons and using the 63-coupe's method of partial inflation with the tire half over the rim and being a bit more careful I was finally able to get it on. That was one frustrating day:banghead:
P.S. I hope you are using some sort of lube typically soap n water and not just going straight also where are you getting your tubes from that it costs $50

Yea, I'm lubing her up pretty good. I get my tubes from a local moto shop. About $12/each. Pinched 4! I have the bigger tire irons (18") and they do a great job. My problem might be having the tube totally flat so its not sitting in place. I'm going to try the half inflation. Keep the suggestions coming guys! Thanks!

I have done a total of 12 tire changes so far and I have only pinched the very first one. I use crappy little tire irons and rim guards made from plastic oil bottles; so nothing special.

My method:

Insert the tube totally deflated.

Hook up the stem and lock it in to the rim.

Run fingers around the rim to make sure the tube is totally inside the tire; gravity should keep it away from the side you're working on. I prefer to have it lay flat inside because it gives me more room to work with.

Lube everything.

Start at the stem; the first bites are easiest and the stem piece will cause the tube to be closest to the rim because it is hooked in to the center of the wheel. When it starts to get difficult towards the end you'll have MORE room to work with because the tube will be flattest further from the stem.

Insert a plastic rim guard as far as I can (mine are like 6 or 8 inches long).

Take small bites with the tire irons; getting greedy is how I pinched the first tube.

The rim guards become deflected when the tire iron is inserted; they take on a slight c-shape that actually pushes the tube away from the rim.

I always partially inflate mine and use rim protectors (ally rims even more important)

why buy new tubes? just repair them with a patch

BTW don't use ordinary soap as that's oil based and attacks the rubber and rots your rims.

use a vegetable based soap like olive oil soap or the proper tyre soap

I am pretty weary about patches although I did contemplate on using them because the holes in the tube are very very small. The tube will hold pressure for a while before going flat. Upon inspection the holes seem more like cracks. How well do patches actually work? and how long do they last? Which patches can be used?

Thanks for all the advice and help. Unfortunately today is Sunday and all Moto shops are closed so I cant get a new tube. Was hoping to have everything ready for the engine to be dropped in next weekend.

What exactly in regular soap is bad? Is there some kind of additive?

not sure, its been a while since i researched it and still have some olive oil soap, its something to do with being vegetable based and not mineral. (so it might afect the rubber)

As for patches Im sure regular bicycle tube patches would work.srubb the area with what comes in the patch kit,apply your glue and set it on fire for a few seconds then aplly the patch it should hold.

I have learned about pinching tires the hard way, twice.

removing them, or installing them the key is get the bead into the recess in the center of the rim first, and small bites. small bites, small bites. Move only 3 inches of bead over the lip of the rim at a time. no more.

I pinched 1 and cussed like a sailor. Tried to patch it. I found patching the tires impossible I could not get it to work, not even one time. Just would not stay.

watched a lot of vids on youtube and learnead a few tricks about installing them correctly.

lastly, yes, you lay the tire down and insert the innertube, inflating it partially. You needn't lube the inner, you can baby powder it if you want...the rim needs a thick lube like grease so it doesn't flow away from the friction. If you want leeway to shove the rim over the first bead, make sure bead is set in the recess in center of the rim, or it just won't go. Simple as that. you'll be able to push about half of the rim over the tire if it's in the recess, then use tiny bites with the irons to move it around the rest of the way, and use whatever you can as stays to keep what's over the rim locked down.

if you're gentle and take your time it's not hard, just takes calm and patience. You should now have one side over the rim and the stem is ready to be pressed thru the hole. Do it before and it can move around or tear out at the stem (that was a stunning moment, tore it out at the stem by puttin on the lock nut too soon!)

now for the finale. Flip it all over. last bead to be fitted facing you. you're gonna need to get the bead down into the recess again, and keep it there so you have enough slack to start the bead around the rim. I press mine in place with a round piece of copper plumbing joint. if the bead is lubed (essential) and it's in the recess, you'll have slack all the way around until the last 4-6 inches of bead to go over the rim. Take tiny bites, and use some spoons or whatever to hold what's gone over the rim in place and prevent it from sliding back free.

if you do it all right each side takes about 5 minutes of patience, not popped tube, and you'll need smoke when you're done.

The other key thing is not to push the irons into the tire without feeling with your fingers how close it is to the tube. Just a gentle feel with your finger will usually press it out of the way. I only put about 1/2 an inch into the tire/over the rim to lever. More than that is asking for a puncture.

Good luck

Drewcifer

Finally got it. I actually found putting air in the tube harder for some reason. This time, instead of taking small bites, I used my 200lb body and just stepping on the walls of the tire after the initial bite. With a lot of lube it went in quite easy, all the way until the last 8 inches or so. Making sure the opposite side was in the center of the wheel did wonders for me. Gave me room to feel inside and push the tube down and away from the irons. Hopefully there is not a micro leak that I discover tomorrow. Thanks to all that helped me. Ill post some pics once the build is done. In the mean time, I'm trying to replicate this bike. But a bit different because I'm using a tank from an XS360 and doing clip ons.

D2517818-E918-4632-A5FF-FE4D8DA3BA02-7885-000002FAEC81F27F.jpg

Glad some of the advice worked. It's hard to describe how it's done until you're there doing it. But keeping the bead in the center recess of the rim is the secret in my opinion :)

Congrats! Ride safe, and if you want some even better advice, go buy a spare tube of each tire now. Then if you have a puncture, you're not stranded away from the store with no bike.

Drewcifer

Back